RecTec Convert

u2er2

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So good to be with you folks.
I'm supposed to receive my Bull the first of next week and I can't wait. This will be my first experience with pellets but I'm looking forward to the adventure. My prior life was with a Big Green Egg (BGE). For a number of reasons, we didn't play well with each other. Admittedly most of the reasons were my fault. I'm just looking for a simpler way to have a consistently good piece of meat without all the drama. I'm hoping I'm not disappointed.

@u2er2 welcome to RecTecForum and congrats on the new Bull.

If simple is what you're looking for then you're going to have a blast with this. It feels like cheating how easy it is to cook with these things. Fill up the hopper, set your temp and come back when it's done. Easy as that.

Be sure to let us know what you think of it once you've received it!

@u2er2 welcome to RecTecForum and congrats on the new Bull.

If simple is what you're looking for then you're going to have a blast with this. It feels like cheating how easy it is to cook with these things. Fill up the hopper, set your temp and come back when it's done. Easy as that.

Be sure to let us know what you think of it once you've received it!

Thanks, Mike
I'll let you know how it goes.

Welcome aboard. Like you, several of us have progressed through various outdoor cooking implements. I understand you BGE frustrations, a kamado can be a bit fiddly. I've got a KJ and life got easier when I installed a Digi Q from BBQ Guru. That said the pellet cooker you've ordered is going to be leaps and bounds easier still. Look around at some of the other intro posts and you'll see how folks will typically ease themselves into familiarity by cooking products they've had success/experience with, e.g. a rack of ribs. Enjoy the ride and let us know if your expectations have been met.

Thank you for the encouragement. I can't tell you how many videos I have watched and how many blogs I have read to get me to this point. What I've decided, with all this, is that if I can't make this work I've got some serious issues. Kidding aside I'm really looking forward to it.

Got notified yesterday that my shipment has been delayed because of inclement weather. My 510 lbs of goodness are somewhere between Georgia and Utah and I don't have a clue were. What's a guy to do?

So good to be with you folks.
I'm supposed to receive my Bull the first of next week and I can't wait. This will be my first experience with pellets but I'm looking forward to the adventure. My prior life was with a Big Green Egg (BGE). For a number of reasons, we didn't play well with each other. Admittedly most of the reasons were my fault. I'm just looking for a simpler way to have a consistently good piece of meat without all the drama. I'm hoping I'm not disappointed.

Having owned a bge for many many years might i ask why the two of you couldnt get along lol
a pellet and a bge would be a nice compliment to each other

sorry to hear u think bge was drama i found bge was a hell of a cooker for everything you needed to cook

good luck with the bull it looks like a great cooker

Stile 88
Please don't misunderstand me. The BGE is a phenomenal cooker. As I mentioned, most of the problems were self-induced. For example, on a brisket cook, the fire went out. To this day I'm not sure why. After that, I was never able to sleep during a cook. Being OCD I also found myself chasing the temperature a lot. Once again no disrespect to the 10,000s of Egg lovers. Our son in law now has it and couldn't live without it.

I finally received the Bull and was able to assemble it myself. I was also able to connect the wire leads, with the use of a needle nose plyers, with little trouble. I'm very impressed with the quality, fit and finish of the unit. It is as robust as I expected, after all the reviews I read. Also, I had no problem connecting to wifi after I isolated the 2.4 Google Fibber feed and it has worked flawlessly each time I have experimented with it. I'm really looking forward to the first cook.

Congrats u2er2. Although the wait is the hardest, you will find it was well worth it. I have the earlier version of the Bull (680) and love love love it. So do my family and friends.....hahaha.

Congrats on the new RT pit!

I added the RT-700 to my outdoor cooking arsenal 6/1/2018. It is a dream to cook with. I have been cooking for a few years on the Kamado Joe with an added CyberQ Wi-Fi controller. I really like having both of these pits. The RT is my go to, but the KJ still gets used as well, but not very often. Primarily steaks with peppers and pork chops. It's hard for me to give up the flame on these.

The RT has really improved and added to my great meat cooking results. I cook a lot more briskets and pork shoulders now than I ever did with just having the KJ. It is just too easy with overnight cooks having the Wi-Fi with alarms. Whole chickens turn out well, too on both pits.?

Congrats on the new RT pit!

I added the RT-700 to my outdoor cooking arsenal 6/1/2018. It is a dream to cook with. I have been cooking for a few years on the Kamado Joe with an added CyberQ Wi-Fi controller. I really like having both of these pits. The RT is my go to, but the KJ still gets used as well, but not very often. Primarily steaks with peppers and pork chops. It's hard for me to give up the flame on these.

The RT has really improved and added to my great meat cooking results. I cook a lot more briskets and pork shoulders now than I ever did with just having the KJ. It is just too easy with overnight cooks having the Wi-Fi with alarms. Whole chickens turn out well, too on both pits.?

very nice combo indeed

with the rt is the food that comes off of it as moist or more moist then when you have food out of the kj

you sure cant beat the flame that comes out of a kamado

Stile 88
Please don't misunderstand me. The BGE is a phenomenal cooker. As I mentioned, most of the problems were self-induced. For example, on a brisket cook, the fire went out. To this day I'm not sure why. After that, I was never able to sleep during a cook. Being OCD I also found myself chasing the temperature a lot. Once again no disrespect to the 10,000s of Egg lovers. Our son in law now has it and couldn't live without it.

I didnt mis understand you just was curious as all

congrats on the new purchase and best of luck to you cant wait to see what you cook in it

Yes, the meat comes out more moist on the RT. This is without a water pan, too. The reason being is that pellets contain ~10% water. The moist meat was the first thing my wife and I noticed on our first few cooks with the RT.

Yes, the meat comes out more moist on the RT. This is without a water pan, too. The reason being is that pellets contain ~10% water. The moist meat was the first thing my wife and I noticed on our first few cooks with the RT.
Is very surprising that its more moist then your kj ...why would you have to use a water pan in your kj ?? I never have to in my kk or my bge before that and my food is very very moist coming off grill

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back