RT-1250 Probes reading inaccurately

MrChuckles

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
This is my first cook on my new 1250. The two pork butts have been on for about 13 hours. My Thermapen reads about 185° on one butt in 168° on the other. The probes on the other hand are reading 49° and 54°. I must be doing something wrong. Can anyone tell me what to check?

Make sure your recteq probes are fully inserted and that the lock nut on each port is tight. If you place the probes in ice water they should read 32F. Another, maybe not so easy check would be to place the probes in boiling water and they should read 212F. If all else fails call customer service. There is a calibration procedure, but your probes seem to be much further out of whack. Good luck!

Edit: Check your Thermapen too if you’re going to prepare ice water/boiling water.

I fixed it. As it turns out, it was user error. The grill was in set up mode and once I got back to the home screen the probes read correctly. It's all working now. Thanks.

I fixed it. As it turns out, it was user error. The grill was in set up mode and once I got back to the home screen the probes read correctly. It's all working now. Thanks.
I love an easy fix. Cheers!

Good to hear. The thing that has impressed me most about this smoker is the temp accuracy. No comparison to my old Traeger which was all over the place.

What is setup mode?

It is the part where you set the auger speed etc. You access it by hitting the gear symbol.
Thanks, I thought maybe the menu had changed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back