Prime Rib Roasts Questions

AlphaPapa

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have never smoked (or otherwise cooked) a prime rib roast. So, I have been reading various threads here and started formulating my plan for how I want to cook one (reverse seared is where I’m heading). However, I have a few questions.

My wife tends to like her beef a little more done than I do. I like medium rare and she likes medium. When I do ribeyes I usually get hers cut 1 1/4” versus 1 1/2” for mine. This generally gets them done the way we like them at about the same time. How do you handle this with a roast? Should I pull it as if I am doing medium rare, slice off individual pieces and reverse sear to final temp?

What is the best way to freeze the leftovers for later? I am thinking of slicing it into individual steaks and freezing them. Then, let them thaw in the fridge overnight and sear them to temp before we eat them.

Any suggestions wold be appreciated!

Yes, cook to medium rare actually less because it will rise after you pull, I pull mine at about 125. Then after reverse sear, slice steaks and sear your wives in a cast iron to cook to medium a few minutes a side. Take left over steaks and freeze with a slice of butter and warm them up in SV for 1 hr at 130 then sear 1 minute a side.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back