Bull Prime Rib Roast Question

Thank you for the tutorial, I am sure it will turn out great. I have cooked several in the oven, never on the RT. I have no doubt that both of ours will be delicious, I’m just trying to get a ballpark time because I have guests coming for dinner.
Mid cook update:

Meat went on with internal temperature of about 34-35 degrees. I’m a little over 4 hours in and the internal is up to 98/97 degrees. I should definitely get to the 115-120 in 6 hours.

Attachments

• 2B39F741-01D9-45C0-BB79-906B81836267.jpeg
    2B39F741-01D9-45C0-BB79-906B81836267.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 70
Ok, so it turned out better than expected.

I was able to get to 122/124 IT at a little over 5 hours. Pulled it off, and cranked the Bull up to 400. Put prime rib back on and it was at 135 IT after about 20-25 min.

Let it rest for about 30 min and it was perfect.

(First two pictures are from when I pulled it originally, before the sear. Last one was the first cut.)

Hope yours comes out just as good; keep us posted.

D4802D0E-3173-4194-85B9-D2158F3CBFF7.jpeg
7E561F93-9037-4AEB-B80C-3D8FC33FC71C.jpeg
4CEBC206-B45C-4BB1-8FB8-190CFAF501BC.jpeg

Bet its gonna be good!
Put mine on this morning at 10am. 45 IT temp of meat. Started at 500 deg for 30 min.
turned it down to 300. Cooked it at 300 until 1230, turned temp down to 230, trying to slow down the cook.
Took meat off at 12:45 at 125 IT.
It cooked much faster than I thought, I was hoping for a 3.5 or 4 hour cook, but was done in 2:45 min.
Worked out ok in the end, by the time we got everything for lunch set up and out , meat was good to go. The ribs fell off, didn’t even have to cut them off.

Thanks for everyones input and help. Happy New Year.

Ok, so it turned out better than expected.

I was able to get to 122/124 IT at a little over 5 hours. Pulled it off, and cranked the Bull up to 400. Put prime rib back on and it was at 135 IT after about 20-25 min.

Let it rest for about 30 min and it was perfect.

(First two pictures are from when I pulled it originally, before the sear. Last one was the first cut.)

Hope yours comes out just as good; keep us posted.

View attachment 8070View attachment 8071View attachment 8072
ours looked almost identical! Thanks for your help

ours looked almost identical! Thanks for your help
I'm glad to hear that there were two different approaches that both worked out well. In case we find ourselves with more or less time on the next go 'round. Thanks for leaving the details... I may give that way a shot sometime.

I've not seen any mention of liquid, apple juice, etc placed inside the chamber to keep things moist. I came from a electric smoker and now I have a RT-590 and just did boneless prime rib roasts (2 @ 6lb). Do people spray instead during the smoke?
I was sorta happy with the results but my final internal temps were lower. Times and temps >4hrs @ 225. 130 internal temp is what I pulled them off at and after resting it looked more medium well than medium. Glad I pulled it when I did. Seasoned for two days in the frig. I let them come to room temp before I put them on the smoker.

No need for pan of liquid like an electric. I used to have an MES40. That water was a heat sink on the electric. Also no need to spray. I have done a few bone-in roasts on my 700. I normally pull them cold from fridge, season and toss in after maybe 30 minutes of prep time. Sounds like you might just have cooked it a bit longer than your target.

I've not seen any mention of liquid, apple juice, etc placed inside the chamber to keep things moist. I came from a electric smoker and now I have a RT-590 and just did boneless prime rib roasts (2 @ 6lb). Do people spray instead during the smoke?
I was sorta happy with the results but my final internal temps were lower. Times and temps >4hrs @ 225. 130 internal temp is what I pulled them off at and after resting it looked more medium well than medium. Glad I pulled it when I did. Seasoned for two days in the frig. I let them come to room temp before I put them on the smoker.
You’ll want to pull no later than 120, maybe even 115. As the previous poster said, no need to spray (would you spray an oven roast?) You can put liquid under the roast but only to make a jus, not needed for moisture of the roast itself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back