Prime Rib Roast Au Jus

LSUdude258

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hello everyone!

So I'm cooking a 6.65lb prime rib roast Saturday. I'm a little confused about the recipe on the website though. It says to "make a bed" for the roast. I was thinking it would be better to put a rack on a roasting pan to catch the drippings instead?

Also, for the au jus- do I add everything except the Worcestershire and broth to the drip pan to smoke with the drippings or do I add it all after? I was confused how the flavors are supposed to blend after the cook with the au jus.

I am waiting for the butcher to call me so I can pick up a prime rib roast I plan on cooking Sunday. Sorry, I can't help with your question on the Au Jus. I always cook my prime rib roast right on the grates and don't capture any of the juice. Others here will have lots of info I am sure. Good luck with the cook, and if there are no pics, it did not happen!

The bed would be like a rack just made out of onions, carrots and/or potatoes.
You could put a rack over the veggies or just leave them out.
I think it is always a good idea to look at a few recipes and then you can balance them all out to what makes sense and to your preferences.
Good luck with the cook.
Also it would be helpful if you linked the recipe...

Hello everyone!

So I'm cooking a 6.65lb prime rib roast Saturday. I'm a little confused about the recipe on the website though. It says to "make a bed" for the roast. I was thinking it would be better to put a rack on a roasting pan to catch the drippings instead?

Also, for the au jus- do I add everything except the Worcestershire and broth to the drip pan to smoke with the drippings or do I add it all after? I was confused how the flavors are supposed to blend after the cook with the au jus.

Unable to answer your question, but...

tenor.gif

Hello everyone!

It would help to link the recipe you're asking about. As mentioned a bed like that often refers to veggies like for a stock. There are other methods too.

Ahh, I was looking for it on this site!
Yeah so that is referring to using a roasting pan, combine all the ingredients listed in the Au jus
to the pan and arrange veggies to act like a rack. Or use a rack with the veggies et all.
But yes a pan is definitely needed to catch the drippings!

After a quick look at that recipe, I recommend you substitute the "beef broth" with "beef stock" as it is much richer. Also, I highly recommend you consider carefully how much, if any, worchestershire (fish sauce) you put in the "au jus". Worchestershire sauce is a very strong flavor as it is a fermented fish based sauce, and it is not everyone's thing. A 1/4 cup of worchestershire is really a lot of flavor. You might start with one tablespoon added at a time, while tasting.

My go-to beef au jus is pretty simple, 1 qt beef stock, 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the meat rub used, 1 tblsp Franks Hot Sauce, 2 -3 tblsp Dale's Steak Seasoning or soy sauce, 1 to 2 teaspoons of worchestershire sauce, 1-2 oz strong red wine. Bring to a boil and cool. This should compliment your roast well. If you can capture meat drippings, adding it to this recipe makes it even better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rmiz64
Back