Bull Pork Picnic / Porchetta

Fhughes

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’m doing an 11lb pork picnic today as a low and slow porchetta 🤩. I do mine with garlic and fennel inserted into the fat cap and meat on the bottom, marinade it overnight. Usually I would just cook it at high heat for about 4hrs but I wanted to try it as pulled. Pic attached is 1hr at xtra smoke then bump up to 250, 2hrs in that pic

B3B1CB45-6522-4DE6-AC43-7F6C3C46857F.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the finish, sorry no pics of it pulled

Attachments

• 6799DA4E-E48D-4A98-9867-E483D0AC4C46.jpeg
    6799DA4E-E48D-4A98-9867-E483D0AC4C46.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
@BethV it tasted great, Had a good garlic flavor with slight fennel taste. The skin did not crisp up, it was on the chewy side. So it was just saved to add to beans for flavoring. Overall it was successful because my 4yr liked it 😂

Did a pork picnic skin side down, 225 5 hours Boucher paper wrapped at 150, skin side up 6 more hours until 195. Rested in cooler towel wrapped 2 hours. Amazing, skin was removed and chopped finely and put in beans amazing also. Used mustard as a binder for rub on exposed meat and pricked and vinegar and then salt rubbed the skin the night prior to cooking. Probably could have crisped up skin in a cast iron over a hot grill but would have gotten soggy in beans anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back