Bull Pork Butt on Extreme Smoke

On my RT1250, I often run at 180F for 12 hours overnight for pork butts and briskets then up the temperature to 225F in the morning via the App. I also run a smoke tube.

I wish the App had a ramp function where you could set it to run at a certain temperature for a certain length of time then bump upwards, but no dice. I also wish it could monitor the meat temperature and as it starts to plateau, then bump up the temperature...

On my RT1250, I often run at 180F for 12 hours overnight for pork butts and briskets then up the temperature to 225F in the morning via the App. I also run a smoke tube.

I wish the App had a ramp function where you could set it to run at a certain temperature for a certain length of time then bump upwards, but no dice. I also wish it could monitor the meat temperature and as it starts to plateau, then bump up the temperature...

Wow, you run that low a temp for that long?

There are other grills with controllers that do just that. Probably let recteq know what you’d want and see if they can include that in an upgrade.

Not 180f, but Malcolm runs 195 in this video.
In my opinion, there is a big difference in 180F vs 195F for larger proteins that have to render intra-muscular (triglyceride) fat. I like Mr. Dixon but if he is measuring chamber temperature versus cooking grate temperature it can be 2 different things. If you put a probe on your grill grate you will notice it is not the same temp as RT’s built in probe. For my offset stick burner, I see differences from one end to the other and put my proteins on accordingly. I have tried the low temp cooks for extended amounts of time and could not tell any real difference. I would also worry that the stall would take longer and I don’t know if you can get the brisket to 200-205F when the chamber temp is at 185F, but others will know the science better than I. I prefer the 225-240F range (after a pre-smoke) because my briskets are typically in the 18-25lb range (after trimming) and it would take ~30 hours to properly cook at 180F. Let us know how your cook turns out and how long it takes.

With respect to the video, he didn’t actually keep the brisket on until it completed stall. As such, he pushed the temp up to 250F following the wrap to make sure it could clear the stall in a timely fashion. For a prime grade brisket that works pretty well (although I wait until I clear the stall before I wrap) which turned his cook into only (haha) 16 hours. For my purposes I calculate 1.5 hours per pound for a brisket to cook (including a 2-3 hour rest). YMMV.

Edit: I know I focused on the brisket for this diatribe but the same conditions apply to pork butts. They stall at around the same temperature and finish at around the same internal temperature.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back