Off-Topic Question (Lump Charcoal)...

BNeal

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Has anyone tried this charcoal from Costco? It's a 34lb bag for about $22. I typically use FOGO, which is the same price, but only 17lbs.

1664212119090.png

Has anyone tried this charcoal from Costco? It's a 34lb bag for about $22. I typically use FOGO, which is the same price, but only 17lbs.

View attachment 17605
I’ve never used Cowboy, and I’ve stuck with FOGO for many years now. I’ve been using their Quebracho lump but that appears to have gone away. I still have several bags, so once that is gone I may go shopping for a new supplier. I’ve been using Jealous Devil briquettes in my PK grill this summer and love them so…

But, back to your question-The Naked Wiz is without a doubt an expert on lump charcoal reviews. been doing it for years and years now.

I've only used it a handful of times, not because there is anything wrong with it, there's just nothing special about it either. I've used it to spit-roast a couple pigs. Leftover bags went into the smoker as needed. Charcoal gives a more steady heat, I can toss on wood for more smoke flavor.

I've only used it a handful of times, not because there is anything wrong with it, there's just nothing special about it either. I've used it to spit-roast a couple pigs. Leftover bags went into the smoker as needed. Charcoal gives a more steady heat, I can toss on wood for more smoke flavor.
Thanks. I was just wondering about the quality - that's a pretty good price compared to what I am currently paying for FOGO.

I agree with @Greg Jones . Before I ever venture into a new brand of lump charcoal, I always check The Naked Wiz for their review. It's usually spot on and very helpful. FOGO is great, but a bit expensive for my tastes. I've had great experience with Rockwood (my go-to), and occasionally use B&B, both of which are reviewed on that site. YMMV, of course. To be honest, I used one of the Cowboy brands once and it sparked so much I stopped using it, which was pretty much what the Wiz review said several years ago. It's only the 4th of July once a year, unless you use Cowboy lump charcoal!

I never would have thought there were so many choices for lump charcoal. I bet I have seen less than a dozen of those IRL that I could pick up and buy. $22 is not a huge investment, to try it out. Everyone has a different level of acceptability/tolerance for various aspects of any product. Availability has to come before anything, then there's cost, and suitability to what you bought it for.

I never would have thought there were so many choices for lump charcoal. I bet I have seen less than a dozen of those IRL that I could pick up and buy. $22 is not a huge investment, to try it out. Everyone has a different level of acceptability/tolerance for various aspects of any product. Availability has to come before anything, then there's cost, and suitability to what you bought it for.
Many of the brands are regional and that website has been building the list for more a decade. So, some brands are gone.

Just a shout out on the nekkid dude link you all referenced. I've used FOGO and local Lazzari mesquite stuff (also on his list) for years. Nice to know there are options. Some things do need direct heat. Even tonight I did my cowboy steak on the Recteq and seared off over mesquite coals/fire.

I have used Cowboy in my 2 BGE's for YEARS - I am military (now retired) and get 10% off at Lowe's, so it makes it even cheaper. Many years ago cowboy was almost 100% hardwood floor scraps turned into lump, now it is almost 100% trees and stuff.
The hardwood floor stuff burned HOTTER IMO - by about 20F, the wood isn't as "Dense" or as efficient, but easier to control temp. For reference - I could easily do back to back cooks totaling 30-33 hours on the old Hardwood floor lump, but now I can barely get 26-28 hours out of the same amount of charcoal. Yes, 1st world problems and I can easily top off the lump between cooks.

It is going to be hard to beat Royal Oak lump charcoal.
That's pretty decent and consistent stuff. The RO stuff I've used was always what looked like scraps from a furniture manufacturer. No bark or cut up tree limbs. A sawn pieces.

I've used Fogo a number of times and was satisfied. Also I use a lot of a regional label mesquite lump for steaks.

That's pretty decent and consistent stuff. The RO stuff I've used was always what looked like scraps from a furniture manufacturer. No bark or cut up tree limbs. A sawn pieces.

I've used Fogo a number of times and was satisfied. Also I use a lot of a regional label mesquite lump for steaks.
Not sure on the furniture lumber bit but burns hot and clean. I always toss in whatever flavor of wood chunks I want for the smoke flavor I want.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back