No Phony Bologna

Gotbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey,
Don't run away yet. I'm not one who eats a ton of bologna but I have smoked bologna a bunch of times and its great. I usually do it when I am smoking something else and have some extra space on the smoker. Here's the deal-

Buy a 2 or 3 inch thick chunk of bologna.
Put it on the smoker when you put on the ribs or butt or whatever. (usually needs 3-4 hrs)
Smoke at 225-250 degrees for about 3-4 hrs
The fat renders out and it shrinks in size. (shrinkage!)
Flavor intensifies.

Take off the smoker and either 1. Slice it thin and serve on Kings Hawaiian Buns/Sliders with Kimchi and your fav BBQ/hot sauce OR - 2. Cube it up and serve it with tooth picks and mustard while the rest of the food is finishing and folks are hanging outside with a cold one and an appetite. Something easy to make and fun to nibble.

Try it, its real low country BBQ.

Sounds good to me. When I was young growing up in Louisiana - my mom used to fry bologna in a pan in bacon drippings - she'd cut slits in it to keep it from curling up. Used to make sandwiches with slices of fried bologna and melted cheese. So, I can imagine smoked, it would be great.

Anybody else old enough to have this running through their head about now?
Wow - that took me way back! Throughout my life I have been known to break out into that song for no reason and at random times. ?. To top it off I find out that my wife’s grandpa’s name was Oscar Myers. He got a lot of prank calls back in the day!

Wow - that took me way back! Throughout my life I have been known to break out into that song for no reason and at random times. ?. To top it off I find out that my wife’s grandpa’s name was Oscar Myers. He got a lot of prank calls back in the day!
I’ll bet. You and Prince Albert. ?

Anybody else old enough to have this running through their head about now?
So... While the link page was loading, in my head I was singing, "my bologna has a first name, it's o.s.c.a.r, my bologna has a second name it's, m.a.y.e.r. oooooohhhh I love to eat it everyday and if you ask me why, I'll saaaaayyyyy...".

Thanks for the memory flash uncle! ??

Trying Bologna for the first time on the 🎯. Mayo binder, killer hogs hot on one, porkosaurus on the other. Brushed with Louisiana hot n spicy bbq sauce on one and Kc on the other. Just about to pull them off let them cool over night and slice in the morning!

87D59B4B-E7E2-4C3A-8D68-4646AFDCD6BA.jpeg

FB685A69-8901-4D37-BD17-47CD7FE164BA.jpeg

Sounds good to me. When I was young growing up in Louisiana - my mom used to fry bologna in a pan in bacon drippings - she'd cut slits in it to keep it from curling up. Used to make sandwiches with slices of fried bologna and melted cheese. So, I can imagine smoked, it would be great.
My mom did the same. Except, no cheese, just lots of mayonnaise! Loved it!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back