New TR-700

donnyb

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1070
How do I have to compensate if at all with my unit sitting in the sun and its going to be 104 today. Smoking beef ribs

I would add another six-pack to the fridge. :rolleyes: Otherwise, I don’t think you need to do anything to the grill. The controller is supposed to monitor the internal cooking chamber temperature and shouldn’t be affected all that much by external temperature. You may burn less pellets due to reduced heat loss.

I have experienced that if the outside temperature is high, cooking on 180/low bounces around quite a bit between 175 and 210. It's not the end of the world, but the controller seems to be "working harder" to regulate a consistent temp. Oddly enough, when I've cooked at 225 or so in the same weather, everything is more stable.

For a longer cook I really don't think it makes much difference.

Definitely agree with @Pacman. I cook under a cover and when it it over 100 it can be difficult holding low temps or even cooling down from a spike on higher temps. In direct sunlight and high heat you may have even more trouble maintaining temps. if you start having problems maintaining temps you might try adjusting the minimum feed rate. That has helped me during hot summer cooks.

How do I have to compensate if at all with my unit sitting in the sun and its going to be 104 today. Smoking beef ribs
It depends on what temp you plan to smoke at. These guys struggle to smoke in low/180 in high heat. I was having 30-40 degree temp swings last week in 95 degree heat.

When that happens you put yourself at risk of a flameout and possible burn back as the controller struggles to maintain temp and can often overfill the firepot.

Some have suggested turning your auger feed rate down below the factory setting of 6. I haven't found a good answer to what that number should be.

I would add another six-pack to the fridge. :rolleyes: Otherwise, I don’t think you need to do anything to the grill. The controller is supposed to monitor the internal cooking chamber temperature and shouldn’t be affected all that much by external temperature. You may burn less pellets due to reduced heat loss.

I have noticed that it does make a difference, so I am either under a tent or in the garage to reduce that issue.

I have noticed that it does make a difference, so I am either under a tent or in the garage to reduce that issue.
Interesting. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we rarely get that much heat, so I haven’t seen that. I guess with all the extreme heat in other locations, I’d better start paying more attention. 🤣

Some have suggested turning your auger feed rate down below the factory setting of 6. I haven't found a good answer to what that number should be.
I have both and of my grills set at 3 and it works great. You can go right there or see if 4 or 5 works if you prefer. It’s a man aesthetic setting to change so not a big deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back