New to Rec Tec family

Hey everyone, I just ordered my RT 700 two days ago and couldn't be more excited. This will be my first pellet grill/smoker. I live in Texas and am no stranger to smoking meats and I am really excited to try this out and not have to babysit a fire for 12 hours or more. I look forward to learning some tips and tricks from everyone. I will take any advice or tips that anyone has anytime.

I am curious as to how everyone took delivery of their grills. Is it super heavy to move once its delivered? How was the assembly? Would it be beneficial for me to have a second set of hands to help me assemble it? How long does it take to break it in or season it before I use it for the first time?

Is there anyone on here in Austin, Tx?

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy the new RT.
The grills are typically delivered by UPS Freight or similar. Many times it is turned over to a local carrier for the last segment. My grill went from Augusta, GA to Raleigh NC in 2 days via freight and then sat for 4 days waiting on the local carrier to deliver. It came in the back of a van and they unloaded on ramp right into my garage. I assembled it there, then wheeled it around to the patio in back. Assembly is not very difficult. The video instructions on the RT site are good. No paper manual/instruction typically come with the unit. Many have went to the depot and picked it up rather than wait for the local carrier. i do not currently have a truck, so i was unable to do that. Lots of great info here, again welcome!

Welcome to the forums and great choice on the grill, your going to love it and in the right place to learn form the folks here.
I had my grill shipped to work as commercial delivery's get delivered a lot quicker and then put it in the pickup and brought it home. The pickups tailgate height and my porch height are about the same so I just slid it off the pallet on to the porch deck.
For assembly one person can do it but it's best to get help to turn it right side up.
For break in I did the 400 degree for one or so hours and then just started using it, I don't believe in the cook something greasy or messy nonsense, everything is messy when cooked.
20190711_175015.jpg

Last edited:
Thank ya'll for the warm welcome! It sure seems like I am in the best place to learn from everyone who have had theirs for awhile. Ill make sure I have a second set of hands to help me put it together. Did it take you long to put it together?

Is the smoke box worth getting? Does it just add more smoke flavor to meat if you have it compared to if you don't?

Thank ya'll for the warm welcome! It sure seems like I am in the best place to learn from everyone who have had theirs for awhile. Ill make sure I have a second set of hands to help me put it together. Did it take you long to put it together?
Assembly took about 1 hour for me, I had my 7 year old grandson as a helper and I had the wife help to turn it upright so this may have been the extra time it took..

Last edited:
Welcome from CT. You'll be real happy with your new Bull, great group of helpful folks here alright. ?

Hey everyone, I just ordered my RT 700 two days ago and couldn't be more excited. This will be my first pellet grill/smoker. I live in Texas and am no stranger to smoking meats and I am really excited to try this out and not have to babysit a fire for 12 hours or more. I look forward to learning some tips and tricks from everyone. I will take any advice or tips that anyone has anytime.

I am curious as to how everyone took delivery of their grills. Is it super heavy to move once its delivered? How was the assembly? Would it be beneficial for me to have a second set of hands to help me assemble it? How long does it take to break it in or season it before I use it for the first time?

Is there anyone on here in Austin, Tx?
Mine was dropped off by a local carrier. They told me it was street drop off. When the gent arrived he put it on a hand truck and brought it into my garage. I compensated him for his kind effort. The unit is great. Assembly was easy and it only gets better from there. The company stands fully behind their products. The people on the forum are great and share really good into. Welcome aboard. ??

I got mine on Thursday and put it together that night. Did the first burn in as well. I was so anxious to try it out. I did beef short ribs yesterday for the first cook and I was really impressed with how they turned out. The bark and smoke ring were spot on. Doing pork ribs right now and so far the are looking great.

First impressions are really good. It is well built, feels really solid. Assembly was nice and easy. It holds its temperature really well hardly saw any fluctuation in temperature. This thing is awesome. I’m so glad I got one. Really excited to try new things on it.

Attachments

• E379EF49-9AF2-4EA4-9E9F-4CCA5482FF74.jpeg
    E379EF49-9AF2-4EA4-9E9F-4CCA5482FF74.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 81
I got mine on Thursday and put it together that night. Did the first burn in as well. I was so anxious to try it out. I did beef short ribs yesterday for the first cook and I was really impressed with how they turned out. The bark and smoke ring were spot on. Doing pork ribs right now and so far the are looking great.

First impressions are really good. It is well built, feels really solid. Assembly was nice and easy. It holds its temperature really well hardly saw any fluctuation in temperature. This thing is awesome. I’m so glad I got one. Really excited to try new things on it.
What did you name your Bull? ??

Haven’t named it yet. I did start to think about it yesterday a little but haven’t come up with anything yet.
What’s yours?

Haven’t named it yet. I did start to think about it yesterday a little but haven’t come up with anything yet.
What’s yours?
Have had a few names but Marine 1 is what I go with. There is a thread of smoker names l. Check it out and add yours! ??

Mine was delivered today, carrier hand trucked it into the garage. Assembly took a little over an hour. I did it myself, with the exception of my wife helping to stand it up. Parts fit perfectly, no wiggling or modifications needed. I'll do the burn in tomorrow, and smoke something on it Thursday. Welcome, Ian!

Just got mine today as an early Father’s Day gift. Got it put together, did the initial burn in and threw some chicken thighs on. Pellets are new to me, I’ve been using sticks and charcoal for 10 years. What a pleasant surprise the pellets were. Really really happy with this purchase. Named mine Bodacious.

Just got mine today as an early Father’s Day gift. Got it put together, did the initial burn in and threw some chicken thighs on. Pellets are new to me, I’ve been using sticks and charcoal for 10 years. What a pleasant surprise the pellets were. Really really happy with this purchase. Named mine Bodacious.
I was a stick and charcoal guy too. Pellets are so easy. Overnight cooks are something to look forward to! Bodacious is a great name. Enjoy the ride. ??

Thanks everyone. I’ve been really happy with it so far. Just dealing with some temperature issues today I can’t get figured out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back