Bull New RT700 and first RecTeq

matjac33

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
PXL_20220730_175321164.jpg
decided to go for breakfast on the griddle. Came out fantastic. I am impressed after coming from an old GMG.

Made wings a few days ago. 225F for 1 1/2 hours then turned up to 350F for a short time. My girlfriend said they were delicious but I was disappointed I could not get the skin crispier. Skin was still a little bit rubbery.

Any suggestions for temperature and cook time for wings?

They tasted great but texture wasn't quite there. I made sure the wings were very dry and use Dirty Girl Bloody Mary rub with a few teaspoons of baking powder too help crisping.

01D1358A-A2D0-4A1D-9B5B-6C9358E21121.jpeg

AE5F514D-979D-491D-A3F0-7A00BCDE49E6.jpeg

995158BE-B792-4380-80FE-7E89E28AFE38_1_201_a.jpeg

I had the rubbery issue also, plus I didn't like to wait for the temperature to come up to 400 so now I just throw them on the gasser for 2 minutes on each side and the skin comes out nice and crispy!

You just asked the million dollar question for cooking on a smoker. How do I avoid rubbery skin? I found the best I can do is make sure the wings are as dry as possible. Even if it means drying with paper towels and putting them in the fridge for 3-4 hours. In addition, if you put a combination of salt, baking powder and baking soda (sparingly) can help keep them on the dry side while they cook. The final tip is to raise the temp to ~425 and place them on a preheated cooking sheet skin side down and they will crisp further. I (like GLF35) resort to using the sear burner on my gasser for the ultimate finish. If I am feeling lazy I will also use my Blackstone griddle and give them their final finish.

Hope this helps. Happy grilling…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back