New Rec Tec Owner -1st bag of pellets all broken up

Big T

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I received my RT 700 Bull with the 200 lbs of Rec Tec pellets and after building my Bull I was ready to begin the burn in on Saturday. Opened up one of the 40 lb bags and scooped out a plastic cup full and noticed that more than half of the pellets were broken into tiny size pellets as in pink eraser on top of a pencil size as well as maybe 1/2 & 3/4 inch size. I held off on the burn in and I sent an email to Rec Tec customer service, closed by the time I was ready (Im on Pacific Time). It's Sunday today and they are closed, and I don't think a phone call is needed for this, but I will contact customer service on Monday morning. Question: This isn't the normal pellet size or expectation correct? I also did not open the remaining 4 bags of pellets until I hear from customer service. Did I do the right thing by not doing the burn in with broken up (with dust in the bag) pellets?

First off, nice Jeep!

Next, I’d say you are fine. From what I have been told Rec Tec uses Cookin Pellets as their branded Pellets. I use them all the time myself as I love very close to their mfg. facility and can get them real cheap. I have had some bags similar to what you are mentioning and used them without any ill effects. Most of the bags are in good shape, but I do get some from time to time where most of the pellets are broken into much smaller pieces as you described.

I attached a picture of a small handful from my current bag. As you can see the pellets are a bunch of different sizes.

I also sift the bottom of the bags when there is a lot of dust, but I think it’s probably overkill.

Either way I’d say burn em and have some fun with your new machine!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
Thanks for the response Mac2 - My Jeep is my baby - got her new in 2003 -
Pellets are about the size of your smalllest 4 to 6 pieces in your pic. So you feel that putting in enough pellets for the initial burn in is ok for today?

Yeah, I think you’ll be fine. That’s how one of my recent bags was as well and I didn’t have any issues. That said I wasn’t cooking at 400-500 degrees, but again I would do it and not think twice.

I’m right there with you on the Wrangler. Both of my Babies!!

Attachments

• D66D0732-B06A-4349-BAD5-9F32EF768C2E.jpeg
    D66D0732-B06A-4349-BAD5-9F32EF768C2E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84
I received my RT 700 Bull with the 200 lbs of Rec Tec pellets and after building my Bull I was ready to begin the burn in on Saturday. Opened up one of the 40 lb bags and scooped out a plastic cup full and noticed that more than half of the pellets were broken into tiny size pellets as in pink eraser on top of a pencil size as well as maybe 1/2 & 3/4 inch size. I held off on the burn in and I sent an email to Rec Tec customer service, closed by the time I was ready (Im on Pacific Time). It's Sunday today and they are closed, and I don't think a phone call is needed for this, but I will contact customer service on Monday morning. Question: This isn't the normal pellet size or expectation correct? I also did not open the remaining 4 bags of pellets until I hear from customer service. Did I do the right thing by not doing the burn in with broken up (with dust in the bag) pellets?
The smaller pellets won't be a problem. Rec Tec will probably say they are good to use. Shouldn't be a prob.

Quit yer stalling' and get to cookin' ??
1589148149339.png

Last edited:
Yeah, only really be worried about getting too many of the fines into your hopper. The fines are basically the dust at the bottom of the bag when pouring in. Otherwise as gotbbq so eloquently stated...… get to cookin and have fun with it.

First off, nice Jeep!

Next, I’d say you are fine. From what I have been told Rec Tec uses Cookin Pellets as their branded Pellets. I use them all the time myself as I love very close to their mfg. facility and can get them real cheap.
I have used Cookin Pellets for years, my favorite. Just got a RT-700, but used with my Traeger before that. Perfect Mix works for most, then I play with the Hickory and others a bit but mostly Perfect Mix.

Thanks everyone for your input. Update: Customer Service called me...(AWESOME btw) and he saw my pics and said it should be good to go and if it's not getting up to temp to let them know and they would help me. He said as you all said here to Fire It Up! Do the initial burn. So...I did. 400 degree F took about 40 min. All good so far. The smell was wonderful! I then cooked some packaged bacon on the grill to help season. My next cook with be chicken thighs. In the meantime...I will check the probes to see if they are accurate (ice water - 32F). Then...the dreaded connection to the wifi. I have read some complications, I must admit I am nervous about this.
Customer Service guys were so very cool and very helpful, they thanked me and welcomed me to the Rec Tec family and told me to never hesitate to call them if I ever have a question or get stuck. I told them I would rather solve my problem by researching videos and forum pages first then if i still get stuck I would call, I didn't want to overwhelm the customer service center. He laughed and said either way "You are now family, so don't be afraid to call us." How's that for an awesome feeling. Thrilled.

It’s not always about how long they are but how well they work. LOL. Use the pellets. They will be fine. They all end up in the pit no matter their size and they will burn just fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back