New Guy Here

Bobbyh83

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Hello all. Just ordered a 1250 yesterday, and am anxiously awaiting a tracking number. I have been using a GMG for about 6 years now, and thought it was time for an upgrade. I love my buddies RT 700 and haven't really been a fan of the GMG since the first year and using other brands at family's houses. The rest of my arsenal is an XL Big Green Egg, a Weber gas grill and a blackstone. I use a pellet grill the most though.

Newbie question- can the Recteq handle getting rained on occasionally? I plan to take it on RV trips and get a cover but that means it will be outside and things happen. It will live under a roof at home.

Hello all. Just ordered a 1250 yesterday, and am anxiously awaiting a tracking number. I have been using a GMG for about 6 years now, and thought it was time for an upgrade. I love my buddies RT 700 and haven't really been a fan of the GMG since the first year and using other brands at family's houses. The rest of my arsenal is an XL Big Green Egg, a Weber gas grill and a blackstone. I use a pellet grill the most though.

Newbie question- can the Recteq handle getting rained on occasionally? I plan to take it on RV trips and get a cover but that means it will be outside and things happen. It will live under a roof at home.
Hello @Bobbyh83 !
Welcome to the forum, congratulations on your new grill.

The short answer is yes, they can tolerate rain. I try to minimize exposure but my grill has been through a few storms without issue.

What I’m about to describe is not apples to apples, but some of this applies to my recteqs also. I bought this aluminum PK grill exactly a year ago, I kept it in in my outdoor space under my deck, so it did not get direct sun over time. It was only covered briefly, then for the past 10+ months it remained uncovered. This week I moved it to a fireproof mat on top of my deck, and cleaned all the dust and grime off of it-looks like new. Even the axle hardware which is mild steel, shows no sign of rust.

Now all but one of the recteqs that were also under the shade of the deck remained covered, and after every rain I had to remove the cover to let the grill dry out because the covers didn’t turn the rain water. One of those recteqs, I’ve left uncovered since July of last year and it shows no wear and tear from being uncovered. It has the same dirt and grime that the PK had, and it too was shielded from direct sun by the overhead deck. But it shows no damage from the weather, the pellets have remained dry (pellet hopper sealed with Lavalock) so for stainless/aluminum grills, I think covers for grills not in a direct, beating sun, may be overkill.
IMG_1553.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back