Flagship 1100 New flagship 1100 issues

Sbuchanan813

Hey everyone. So gotten a few cooks out of the way. I started to notice right beneath the barrel the paint seems to be melting? Seems wild. Also on the side of the barrel is this rust forming? I live in Tampa fl. My flagship is under a roof patio and covered when not in use. No rain has ever touched this thing.. I feel paint and mild warping shouldn’t be happening here right ? Only like 6 cooks in.
IMG_3409.jpeg
IMG_3411.jpeg

No, this is not normal. I would definitely call and show them these pics.

Looks like plastic melted on it
That’s what I thought too, but this was not there the other day, and it’s like deep almost like a large scratch. Very odd. Smoker is in a corner screened and covered . No sharp items around, and it’s rusted heavily

Did your RT come with a plastic cover that you had to peel off? Looks like stick-em smeg to me..Id bet the heat from your good just got it funky... Id hit it with some kitchen SS cleaner and see what happens.. Put a bit of elbow into it-- its steel-- your not going to hurt it..

Did your RT come with a plastic cover that you had to peel off? Looks like stick-em smeg to me..Id bet the heat from your good just got it funky... Id hit it with some kitchen SS cleaner and see what happens.. Put a bit of elbow into it-- its steel-- your not going to hurt it..
I was thinking along these lines too. The "rust" sure looks like its flaking away from the clean steel, not towards it, which makes me something got onto it and burned. Hard to tell from these photos though.

I am not sure if it applies to your model but RT once put a coating on their stainless steel to mitigate the risks of corrosion. I don’t know if that is what we are seeing in your pictures, but for my generation of the Bull, be very careful. f it were me, I would ask RT before I would put any harsh chemicals or abrasive sponges on it (think 3M green and blue) for polishing. As you mentioned the imperfections have a depth element to them, it definitely requires their disposition as the manufacturing process may not have ensured proper cleaning before the plating process was performed which means it could propagate in another area which would be upsetting. Also, if you decide to attempt a fix, look at the grain pattern for the metal and clean by wiping in the same direction of the grain. Try a small piece to check for any reaction or problems, then expand to the other areas. Just a few thoughts, let us know how you resolve the issue.

Edit: I have seen that pattern on other cookers when BBQ sauce or similar acidic compounds were introduced to the surface and heated. Hopefully that is not the case for you but for others, never let a sauce sit on metal or you may have a compromise to the surface finish.

Last edited:
To my eye, it looks as though it's a very thin layer of stainless that is laminated to mild steel and the laminate/stainless is peeling off. But......I've never heard of such a thing. And, if that is indeed what it is, I can't imagine laminating would cost less than just using all stainless.

I gotta go look at my 700, I'm thinking the end caps are all stainless. Perhaps not a great grade of stainless, but stainless never the less.

Hey everyone. So gotten a few cooks out of the way. I started to notice right beneath the barrel the paint seems to be melting? Seems wild. Also on the side of the barrel is this rust forming? I live in Tampa fl. My flagship is under a roof patio and covered when not in use. No rain has ever touched this thing.. I feel paint and mild warping shouldn’t be happening here right ? Only like 6 cooks in. View attachment 21594View attachment 21595
You can call and file a claim... don't expect the issue to be solved.

Hate to say it guys, but this is the kind of thing that starts happening when companies get bought out and mass production takes effect. They buy cheaper materials b/c they have to hit higher profits in order to fund the buyout and the shareholders. Like it or not, it happens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclorphan
Back