New Bull owner from NJ

Faarg

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello, I just took the dive to up my smoking game by getting the 700. I have been smoking for years with Masterbuilts, propane and electric. But wanted to do a lot more than I could with the smaller cabinets. I had placed an order for a Traeger (Century 885 from Costco) but ended up cancelling the order after reading more about the Rec Tec. I'm looking forward to some great smokes and hopefully picking up some great tips here.

My first mission is to find the right pellets. I still have some from my A-Maze-N pellet tube and tray but will need a much larger volume now.

Hello, I just took the dive to up my smoking game by getting the 700. I have been smoking for years with Masterbuilts, propane and electric. But wanted to do a lot more than I could with the smaller cabinets. I had placed an order for a Traeger (Century 885 from Costco) but ended up cancelling the order after reading more about the Rec Tec. I'm looking forward to some great smokes and hopefully picking up some great tips here.

My first mission is to find the right pellets. I still have some from my A-Maze-N pellet tube and tray but will need a much larger volume now.
Congrats on your choice, I absolutely love my Bull. Best BBQ money I ever spent! Great helpful and fun folks here. Welcome!

Congratulations on the new Bull and welcome you're going to love it.

Welcome to the forum. Did you get pellets from rec tec. They are good. Lumberjack is another good brand of pellets. There are a bunch of threads on pellets people like. Sometimes it comes down to what's available, high heat, low ash and reasonable cost. You will love cooking on the bull. ??

These RecTec grills are becoming a pandemic might have to come up with a vaccine to prevent us from getting lazy because they cook so well. ?

Welcome to the forum. Did you get pellets from rec tec. They are good. Lumberjack is another good brand of pellets. There are a bunch of threads on pellets people like. Sometimes it comes down to what's available, high heat, low ash and reasonable cost. You will love cooking on the bull. ??

Thanks. I've been looking at getting some Lumberjack pellets but they're tough to find now. I'm trying to figure out how quickly I can go through a quarter ton to see if a bulk buy makes sense. Until then I'm stuc with rolling with some PitBoss for the first few smokes.

Thanks. I've been looking at getting some Lumberjack pellets but they're tough to find now. I'm trying to figure out how quickly I can go through a quarter ton to see if a bulk buy makes sense. Until then I'm stuc with rolling with some PitBoss for the first few smokes.
You just need somewhere to store them. ??

I haven't tried Lumber jack pellets yet I do have a 20 pound bag of the competion blend to use at some point but the cheap Pit Boss pellets found at Lowes work just fine too.

Welcome to the group faarg. You are going to love your pit and hopefully use it all the time. Most of us here love our pits and use them often. I threw a few racks of ribs on Sunday and a 10# butt yesterday. Can never have too much Q.

Where are you in NJ? I am in NJ as well. Maybe someday we can go in and split a bulk order. If you are close to a Dicks Sporting Goods, they sell 20# bags of Lumberjack pellets. There is also a distributor of cookingpellets.com (my particular favorite) and Lumberjack located in Delanco if you are down in that area. It is about 1:15 each way, I just picked up 120# of Perfect Mix from him.

Enjoy that pit!

Welcome to the group faarg. You are going to love your pit and hopefully use it all the time. Most of us here love our pits and use them often. I threw a few racks of ribs on Sunday and a 10# butt yesterday. Can never have too much Q.

Where are you in NJ? I am in NJ as well. Maybe someday we can go in and split a bulk order. If you are close to a Dicks Sporting Goods, they sell 20# bags of Lumberjack pellets. There is also a distributor of cookingpellets.com (my particular favorite) and Lumberjack located in Delanco if you are down in that area. It is about 1:15 each way, I just picked up 120# of Perfect Mix from him.

Enjoy that pit!

thanks. I'm actually trying to figure out what to do for the first smoke. I will probably start off with some wings, a pork butt, and a beer can chicken (I've never done that before). And then hopefully be able to get out to find some brisket.

I'm over in Bergen County, maybe an hour east of you? I'd be up for a bulk buy if you're interested. There is a guy on another message board who was talking about doing one with the pellets arriving in Secaucus. Or I may just suck it up and load up the basement with 500 pounds of pellets and burn them as quick as I can.

There are also some places here that sell Lumberjack but I haven't had a chance to reach out to them and see what they offer.

Thanks for the welcome and looking forward to sharing some stories here.

thanks. I'm actually trying to figure out what to do for the first smoke. I will probably start off with some wings, a pork butt, and a beer can chicken (I've never done that before). And then hopefully be able to get out to find some brisket.

I'm over in Bergen County, maybe an hour east of you? I'd be up for a bulk buy if you're interested. There is a guy on another message board who was talking about doing one with the pellets arriving in Secaucus. Or I may just suck it up and load up the basement with 500 pounds of pellets and burn them as quick as I can.

There are also some places here that sell Lumberjack but I haven't had a chance to reach out to them and see what they offer.

Thanks for the welcome and looking forward to sharing some stories here.
Everything sounds great except for the beer can chicken, spatchock it and it will come out a lot better.

I do have a lot of room on the Bull. Maybe I'll have to try spatchcock and the beer can and do a taste test. It's times like this where I wish I could share with more people.

I do have a lot of room on the Bull. Maybe I'll have to try spatchcock and the beer can and do a taste test. It's times like this where I wish I could share with more people.
Check out the post on amazing ribs about beer can chicken. Not all it’s cracked up to be. ??

Definitely better off with any way to cook chicken other than whole, for many reasons. Primarily total cook time. I myself am not a Spatchcock fan. I prefer cutting my whole chickens up into 8 pcs. or, if I'm lazy 1/2's. Chicken will spray more grease around cooking it at 425F and up than anything else in my opinion for your first seasoning of your grill.

Hi Bergen Country? Paramus here. That was my post about a Lumber Jack bulk buy If is off now. I just ordered 280 LBs of pellets for CookinPellets.
Where in Bergen County?
Dan

I live in Tenafly -- just a few minutes down the road. I figured that the group buy was off and stopped by Modern Propane to pick up some Lumberjack pellets.

Stay safe over there.

Hi How much were the Lumber Jack pellets in Modern Propane?
Dan

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back