New Bull owner from Central PA

PSU-85

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Been poking around this forum for a week since I placed my order last Sunday. UPS called yesterday and my RT 700 should be here on Tuesday. Looking forward to assembling it and jumping right in . Already picked up some great tips and pointers on this forum while I've been waiting.

Started smoking about 28 years ago at my first home when I bought a Brinkman smoker. All my friends and family loved what I was making. Bought a second one so I could make enough for everyone that was showing up. I was brewing beer at the time, so I was a big hit. BBQ and Brew just about every weekend. Graduated to a WSM and used that for a while in conjunction with my Brinkmans.

I had an old oil tank pig roaster and my buddies and I held an annual pig roast and beer fest. Remember the start of those, the ends were always a little fuzzy. Thank god for understanding girl friends that did the bulk of the cleanup. Finally gave up on the pigs and moved onto top rounds and fresh hams. Bought a meat slicer and sliced them up. Good eatin', less work and since we weren't up all night drinking beer and watching the pig, actually started seeing the end of the parties.

Family came along with other obligations and I moved onto propane. Forget who made it but that thing ran constantly. I picked up an offset smoker at Wal-Mart. The price tag caught my eye so I stuck it on the cart. Price tag said $99.00 but it rung up for $300.00. I argued with the cashier who eventually called the manager. Manager saw the price tag and overrode the price and out I walked. Never got the hang of stick burners but it helped with extra capacity for top rounds and fresh hams.

A few years ago I passed down the propane smoker to my brother-in-law and bought the MES. Been using that for 5 years or so and really like the simplicity except for the small wood chip capacity. Thought about a smoke tube but never got around too it.

The old gas grill was on its last leg and it needed replaced. I've wanted a pellet grill for a long time but couldn't justify the purchase since I already had a smoker. Almost pulled the trigger on a Weber when I decided to take another look at pellets. One thing I was specifically looking for was the ability to grill steaks and burgers. I had a Campchef Wood Wind in my cart when I paused. Did some more research the following morning and discovered Rec Tec. A couple hours of reading and watching videos and I loaded a Bull in my cart and hit send. Looking forward to getting started. Will pickup ribs, shoulders or butts depending on what's available at the grocery store so I'm ready when it arrives. Hopefully the sear grates do a good job on burgers and steaks or the wife may not be happy when I pickup a grill too.

I live in Central PA with my wife, 15 year old son, golden retriever and Bernese mountain dog. Oldest son is a senior in the aviation program at Arizona State. He's got the BBQ bug too. Just sent him a propane smoker for Easter since his apartment complex doesn't allow charcoal. Hope to be a regular contributor here on the forum and look forward to engaging in some of the good hearted banter I see flying around the boards.

Kip

Congrats on your Bull purchase! Truly a set and forget. So much easier...Keep us posted with some pics of your cooks and welcome from SC!

Been poking around this forum for a week since I placed my order last Sunday. UPS called yesterday and my RT 700 should be here on Tuesday. Looking forward to assembling it and jumping right in . Already picked up some great tips and pointers on this forum while I've been waiting.

Started smoking about 28 years ago at my first home when I bought a Brinkman smoker. All my friends and family loved what I was making. Bought a second one so I could make enough for everyone that was showing up. I was brewing beer at the time, so I was a big hit. BBQ and Brew just about every weekend. Graduated to a WSM and used that for a while in conjunction with my Brinkmans.

I had an old oil tank pig roaster and my buddies and I held an annual pig roast and beer fest. Remember the start of those, the ends were always a little fuzzy. Thank god for understanding girl friends that did the bulk of the cleanup. Finally gave up on the pigs and moved onto top rounds and fresh hams. Bought a meat slicer and sliced them up. Good eatin', less work and since we weren't up all night drinking beer and watching the pig, actually started seeing the end of the parties.

Family came along with other obligations and I moved onto propane. Forget who made it but that thing ran constantly. I picked up an offset smoker at Wal-Mart. The price tag caught my eye so I stuck it on the cart. Price tag said $99.00 but it rung up for $300.00. I argued with the cashier who eventually called the manager. Manager saw the price tag and overrode the price and out I walked. Never got the hang of stick burners but it helped with extra capacity for top rounds and fresh hams.

A few years ago I passed down the propane smoker to my brother-in-law and bought the MES. Been using that for 5 years or so and really like the simplicity except for the small wood chip capacity. Thought about a smoke tube but never got around too it.

The old gas grill was on its last leg and it needed replaced. I've wanted a pellet grill for a long time but couldn't justify the purchase since I already had a smoker. Almost pulled the trigger on a Weber when I decided to take another look at pellets. One thing I was specifically looking for was the ability to grill steaks and burgers. I had a Campchef Wood Wind in my cart when I paused. Did some more research the following morning and discovered Rec Tec. A couple hours of reading and watching videos and I loaded a Bull in my cart and hit send. Looking forward to getting started. Will pickup ribs, shoulders or butts depending on what's available at the grocery store so I'm ready when it arrives. Hopefully the sear grates do a good job on burgers and steaks or the wife may not be happy when I pickup a grill too.

I live in Central PA with my wife, 15 year old son, golden retriever and Bernese mountain dog. Oldest son is a senior in the aviation program at Arizona State. He's got the BBQ bug too. Just sent him a propane smoker for Easter since his apartment complex doesn't allow charcoal. Hope to be a regular contributor here on the forum and look forward to engaging in some of the good hearted banter I see flying around the boards.

Kip
Welcome to the forum. Alot of good people and info. Have fun! ??

Central PA native myself now living in Delaware County. PSU alum and I just bought a Bernese Mountian Dog (Doodle) last month so we have quite a bit in common!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back