Stampede Need opinions

geauxfish24

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Ok guys, about to attempt to tackle my nemesis. Bought at 4.6lb flat brisket and will be smoking on Sunday. Please give me injection tips, smoking temps, when to wrap, and anything else I may need to know. I have done pork butt and wings so far and both turned out great although I know they are more forgiving than the brisket. Smoking on a 590. Thanks in advance!

Inject with beef broth.
Season with SPG and if you want a subtle twist add some ground coffee
Smoke at 225
Wrap in butcher paper around 160. You are looking for the bark to be set before you wrap.
Pull at 203 - 210.
Let it rest for at least an hour. Do not skip the rest.
I am not sure how long to plan as I have alway done whole packet briskets. But those cooks took 12 - 14 hours.

Inject with beef broth.
Season with SPG and if you want a subtle twist add some ground coffee
Smoke at 225
Wrap in butcher paper around 160. You are looking for the bark to be set before you wrap.
Pull at 203 - 210.
Let it rest for at least an hour. Do not skip the rest.
I am not sure how long to plan as I have alway done whole packet briskets. But those cooks took 12 - 14 hours.
Thanks! What do you think in terms of how long it will take overall?

Give these a read. I second and third the advice of dry brine. I brine all my briskets to help lock in moisture. Especially if I couldnt find a brisket with alot of fat...

Dont over think it. Remember it's just a hunk of beef that needs tender loving haha... Have fun with it and dont stress it. Otherwise what's the point.

Keep a log of what you did and how you did it will also help you along the way...

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-brisket-texas-style

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/f.../682325-beginner-cool-brisket-flat-always-dry

Your probably 7-8 hours but the brisket determines time. I like to set on LO settings to get more smoke and longer cook. Turn up to 220 after 145 temp. Wrap is around 160 and pull at 200. Rest hour. Inject beef broth before cook and mist a few times with apple cider vinegar during cook. Good luck

I wrap pork butts and full packer briskets in butcher paper. For brisket flats, I wrap in foil, preferably with some liquid added. Brisket flats have a tendency to dry out, and my experience is that foil helps avoid that.

I've only done 2 flats so far, 5.5 & 7 lbs trimmed. My notes tell me to figure 2 hrs a pound for just the cook time on the next I do. Both were injected and seasoned with S&P and wrapped with butchers paper @ 160 and pulled at 200-205. Spritzing after 3 hrs till wrapping, which was about half way, time wise. On both I bumped up to 250 from 225 when wrapped. I also put a tin of water on the grate.

My cook times always seem to be considerably longer then I read on the internet.

My brisket cooks seem to take longer than I anticipate usually. I would start it earlier than you think it would take. Brisket can rest in cooler for several hours with some kitchen towels and stay hot. Just keep cooler out of sun so you don't steam it. Definitely inject if it's just the flat. As far as rub goes, I'm a fan of Chupacabra rub. I do half Chupacabra and half S&P tx blend. But they say if you keep it simple with the rub you get more smoke penetration in the meat. So it's just your preference. Have fun!

My guess would be at least 8hrs.

Give these a read. I second and third the advice of dry brine. I brine all my briskets to help lock in moisture. Especially if I couldnt find a brisket with alot of fat...

Dont over think it. Remember it's just a hunk of beef that needs tender loving haha... Have fun with it and dont stress it. Otherwise what's the point.

Keep a log of what you did and how you did it will also help you along the way...

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-brisket-texas-style

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/f.../682325-beginner-cool-brisket-flat-always-dry
AmazingRibs.com is a great resource. They actually cook using their recipes and their tests are dead accurate, :)

With a smaller
flat like this, as was mentioned, drying out is a potential issue depending on how much fat it has marbled in. I'd suggest you start checking for probe tender all over at somewhere around 195 degrees rather than following some prescribed end temperature.

With a smaller
flat like this, as was mentioned, drying out is a potential issue depending on how much fat it has marbled in. I'd suggest you start checking for probe tender all over at somewhere around 195 degrees rather than following some prescribed end temperature.
Update: wrapped at 155 about 45 minutes ago and bumped heat from 225 to 250. Internal temp hasn’t moved off 155...am I don’t something wrong?

Sounds like you are in the stall. Just gotta ride it out.

Update: wrapped at 155 about 45 minutes ago and bumped heat from 225 to 250. Internal temp hasn’t moved off 155...am I don’t something wrong?
Briskets are a PITA figure on almost 2 times the cook time needed per recipes out there and if done earlier a warmed up cooler is your best friend to maintain temperature.

Last edited:
Seems to me that the act of wrapping itself lets the surface of the meat cool a tad, especially as the weather cools here in New England.

Seems to me that the act of wrapping itself lets the surface of the meat cool a tad, especially as the weather cools here in New England.
I can’t get it past 160....started at 10:30am. Don’t know why I can’t cook these damn things

Uncle Bob: I have seen similar results. One thing I do is to wait until I go through the stall by 10 degrees before any attempt to wrap. If it is a larger piece by weight, instead of using peach paper, i use aluminum foil shiny side down, then wrapped and placed in a cooler for 2 hours.

I can’t get it past 160....started at 10:30am. Don’t know why I can’t cook these damn things
If I started a 4.5 lb'er @ 10:30 am I'd hope for it to be 200ish around 7:30 pm, which you won't make. I'd just leave it on, leave the lid closed, and see what happens. Meanwhile, throw some dogs on the gasser.

[/QUOTE]
What did you wind up doing? Pulling it early or just let go until it hit around 200? How was it?
Don’t give up! It is so satisfying when you finally succeed.
Here’s what my experiences has taught me:
When I smoke a full packer brisket I but it on the smoker at midnight if I want it ready at 5 or 6 pm. That gives me some wiggle room on the time and also leaves me time to rest it.
I figure on it taking 12 to 15 hours of cook time and it always seems closer to 15 (sometimes more) than 12. I have actually never had one that only took 12 hrs.
One thing you can do is keep it in a cooler wrapped in tin foil and beach towels for hours if it’s ready sooner than you expected. So if I cook one for 15 hours (that’s 3pm), I put it into a cooler immediately and let it rest. I don’t even unwrap it from the butcher paper - I wrap it all in tin foil. I don’t get it out until I am ready to slice and serve it. You can hold one like that for at least 4 hrs if you fill all the air space in the cooler with towels or something similar.
I know you were cooking the flat only but I would figure on it taking 8 to 12 hrs. I would expect closer to 12 than 8.
Note: I am cooking at 225 the whole time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back