Bull Light Modification and Jerky Rack

hogginthegrillbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So I decided to remove the light inside my Bull. After a few cooks the light was basically rendered useless and really served no purpose. I didn't think it was worth the effort to keep cleaning it either. I also figured by removing the light, it would allow me to slide the large interior shelf all the way back. So I removed the light, capped the wires, and covered the hole with a 1" stainless steel hole/plug cover. Worked perfectly! You can see a picture of it attached. Also, while I am glad I purchased the large interior shelf, it doesn't quite give me the extra space I need. I saw someone on IG use the Camp Chef 36" jerky rack for their RT700, and I decided to give it a try. And that works perfectly too!!! With the light removed, the racks slide all the way to the back and the door closes flush. It essentially gives me 3 additional full racks to use for jerky, ribs, etc. Great purchase! In fact, I think I prefer them over the RT shelf! See photos below.

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram @hogginthegrillbbq

Attachments

• IMG_7535.jpg
    IMG_7535.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_7808.jpg
    IMG_7808.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_7812.jpg
    IMG_7812.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_8346.jpg
    IMG_8346.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 495
I like that! How did you attach the rails on each side? Do they just sit in there or did you actually attach them?

Are they sturdy enough for anything more substantial than a couple racks of ribs? The fine mesh looks kind of difficult to clean.

Are they sturdy enough for anything more substantial than a couple racks of ribs? The fine mesh looks kind of difficult to clean.
They are pretty sturdy. I’m pretty sure you could get a brisket on one. Just gotta be mindful of the height limitations.

Stumbled upon this thread after my light cover falling out and breaking last night!

Called Rec Teq HQ this morning (Sunday) and left a message.

Anyone tried smoking/cooking without the glass light cover (just the light housing/light bulb)?
Wasn't sure if the actual light bulb/light housing could handle high heat without damage?

Thanks in advance!

Stumbled upon this thread after my light cover falling out and breaking last night!

Called Rec Teq HQ this morning (Sunday) and left a message.

Anyone tried smoking/cooking without the glass light cover (just the light housing/light bulb)?
Wasn't sure if the actual light bulb/light housing could handle high heat without damage?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure if I would try that. You definitely wouldn’t want that bulb to crack and shatter. Hopefully RT can get you a new one ASAP

So I decided to remove the light inside my Bull. After a few cooks the light was basically rendered useless and really served no purpose. I didn't think it was worth the effort to keep cleaning it either. I also figured by removing the light, it would allow me to slide the large interior shelf all the way back. So I removed the light, capped the wires, and covered the hole with a 1" stainless steel hole/plug cover. Worked perfectly! You can see a picture of it attached. Also, while I am glad I purchased the large interior shelf, it doesn't quite give me the extra space I need. I saw someone on IG use the Camp Chef 36" jerky rack for their RT700, and I decided to give it a try. And that works perfectly too!!! With the light removed, the racks slide all the way to the back and the door closes flush. It essentially gives me 3 additional full racks to use for jerky, ribs, etc. Great purchase! In fact, I think I prefer them over the RT shelf! See photos below.

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram @hogginthegrillbbq
What did you plug the hole with? Do you have a link?

Thanks. That's the one I bought. This may be over the top, but any concerns with the california p65 warning on these? I'm no expert on food safe metals or whatever, and i know those warnings are on everything. Just got a pregnant wife and don't want to risk anything over fitting some jerky racks in my smoker.
Congrats

Thanks. That's the one I bought. This may be over the top, but any concerns with the california p65 warning on these? I'm no expert on food safe metals or whatever, and i know those warnings are on everything. Just got a pregnant wife and don't want to risk anything over fitting some jerky racks in my smoker.
Honestly, that I can’t answer. I have no clue. But let me know what you find out. So far, I’ve had no issues with the plug.

Honestly, that I can’t answer. I have no clue. But let me know what you find out. So far, I’ve had no issues with the plug.
Thanks. Honestly the issue is they put that stupid warning on everything. Coffee, wood pellets, furniture, etc. that no one has any idea when you should actually take it seriously.

Scratching my head on this one, I picked up this rack, have the bull before they called it the rt-700, i dont think the design changed. However the black side pieces do not fit, they are to tall for it to slide all the way in. Anyone else run into this?

edit: i dont plan on sending it back, ill cut the sides to fit as its a super hassle and i have to pay shipping. So its going to work regardless, well after i make sure the racks dont also stick out to far. Just wondering if something changed somewhere.

Crisis averted, the instructions are not clear on the installation. The outside brackets actually install below the grates not on top. Otherwise fits perfectly.

Like the look of this.....Does it fit w/ the light as is? Call me a nerd but I like my light. And it cleans up in 15 seconds w/ a little simple green on a microfiber.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back