Bull Leave Sear Kit in?

DJD2010

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey all, I have a new RT-700 being delivered next week and had a question or two on the Sear Kit/Grill Grates. Since the Sear Kit was out of stock, I went ahead and ordered the set from Grill Grates to allow me to sear on the it. My question is do most of you leave them in the smoker all the time as a replacement to one side of grates? or take them out when doing low and slow.

I was hoping to just keep them in all the time but was curious as to what effect this would have on smoker temp/smoke production when keeping them in. I would assume they would hold heat in a bit thus keeping it more even but does that effect the amount of smoke the grill will produce when smoking low?

Lastly, is it better to put these on the left or right side of the grill?

Thanks in advance for any input. Excited to get started!

Hey all, I have a new RT-700 being delivered next week and had a question or two on the Sear Kit/Grill Grates. Since the Sear Kit was out of stock, I went ahead and ordered the set from Grill Grates to allow me to sear on the it. My question is do most of you leave them in the smoker all the time as a replacement to one side of grates? or take them out when doing low and slow.

I was hoping to just keep them in all the time but was curious as to what effect this would have on smoker temp/smoke production when keeping them in. I would assume they would hold heat in a bit thus keeping it more even but does that effect the amount of smoke the grill will produce when smoking low?

Welcome to the forums, great questions. I only keep them in the grill when being used. I generally only use one of the standard grills as it's only the two of us and this way I can slide the grill left or right for the hotter right side of the grill if needed and it's only one grill to clean. I also recommend turning the Grill Grates sear plates 90 degrees and place on top of the stock grates. This is to prevent grease from dripping off the ends of the plates, missing the drip pan and getting into the lower part of the barrel possibly causing a grease fire. Make sure to use the Grill Grates on the right side of the grill only, the heat coming of them will fool the RTD probe that's on the left side of the grill.

Last edited:
I dont use mine often and when I do, I put it in with ridges left to right to keep it from over hanging the drip pan so it takes up too much room if left in, so I remove it after each use.

Hello and welcome! I don't have your answer for leaving them in, I suppose you could and adjust the temp down a little while going low and slow to compensate for them holding more heat. For outright searing the right side burns hotter.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Certainly helps get an idea of what others are doing.

I currently have a Traeger Tailgater which was given to me as a gift and that is literally the only thing we cook on outdoor nowadays. But the only thing really missing is the ability to get those nice grill marks and flavor that searing provides.

One more follow up question though. how do you clean/store the grates after using them? Do you do a full deep clean of them or just a scrape or so to get the big stuff off? I want them to get that 'cure' that is recommended but I would assume storing them would require a good cleaning after each use.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Certainly helps get an idea of what others are doing.

I currently have a Traeger Tailgater which was given to me as a gift and that is literally the only thing we cook on outdoor nowadays. But the only thing really missing is the ability to get those nice grill marks and flavor that searing provides.

One more follow up question though. how do you clean/store the grates after using them? Do you do a full deep clean of them or just a scrape or so to get the big stuff off? I want them to get that 'cure' that is recommended but I would assume storing them would require a good cleaning after each use.
I also have the Grill Grates bristle free cleaning brush and spatula and use them to get the big stuff off while still hot, I might run them under hot water if they have been sitting for a while but don't want to loose the seasoning by using chemicals or soaps. I store them in a large zip lock bag between uses inside the tool box cart my bull sits on.

Last edited:
@DJD2010 I have had my Rec Tec RT-700 for a year or two now and have always left my Grill Grate sear grates in the grill no matter if I'm going hot or going low and slow.

The only time I take my sear grates out is when I'm smoking large items like bigger briskets or ribs.

My sear grates are pretty much black from all the use and constantly being in the grill but they work great and with a little elbow grease I could make them look new again.

I never thought of leaving them in the grill, good to know. I've always taken mine out and cleaned them after each use and stored them. I have the RT340 so room is need some times. This will be good info if......... when I get a bigger Rec Tec. :)

@DJD2010 I have had my Rec Tec RT-700 for a year or two now and have always left my Grill Grate sear grates in the grill no matter if I'm going hot or going low and slow.

The only time I take my sear grates out is when I'm smoking large items like bigger briskets or ribs.

My sear grates are pretty much black from all the use and constantly being in the grill but they work great and with a little elbow grease I could make them look new again.

Thanks for the insight Mike. Have you had to worry about the grease running into the barrel?

Sorry for all the questions. I’m a bit of a researcher and like to know what to expect. Which is why i ended up getting a Rec Tec lol.

This is what I do too. Leave them in until I don’t need them in. They get beautifully seasoned. I run the lines left to right so the grease flows to the trap not to the fire box. It seems to work just fine for me.

This is what I do too. Leave them in until I don’t need them in. They get beautifully seasoned. I run the lines left to right so the grease flows to the trap not to the fire box. It seems to work just fine for me.
I cleaned my grates after 1st time grilling pork chops using degreaser and cleaner. Then I did up a big batch of pork chops and after tried using high heat to char it, this just set in the stain harder and has made it nearly impossible to get clean. Maybe I’ll use oven cleaner next or just leave it as you have done.

I leave mine in unless real estate is a problem or I am doing a high temp cook. Although they are aluminum, I like the patina they exhibit. I also don’t turn mine as the proteins I usually put on them (burgers, fish, searing beef) haven’t been a problem. I will say I also keep a good couple of inches of “dust” in the bottom of my Bull’s chamber (as directed by RT). YMMV

I cleaned my grates after 1st time grilling pork chops using degreaser and cleaner. Then I did up a big batch of pork chops and after tried using high heat to char it, this just set in the stain harder and has made it nearly impossible to get clean. Maybe I’ll use oven cleaner next or just leave it as you have done.
Don't use a degreaser as this takes off the seasoning. Mild soap and water if you must clean them. I usually just brush them when done and leave on the grill.

Soak in baking soda and water. Changes the pH and it will come off pretty easy after a good soak.

I use 2 of the grates, don’t need 3. I leave the two in all times unless space is needed. Never cleaned them outside of when they are hot, scraping any residual remains off. Don’t need to use any oil to make non stick, it’s basically non stick now from seasoning.

I take them out when using low and slow since it only takes a second to remove them. I thought the same that it might effect temperature. I actually use them more on my Napoleon gas grill. They don't fit exactly, but they're great for searing and it doesn't as long to heat up obviously on the Napoleon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back