RT-1070 It was a good 2 hours…

SmokeOCD

Put 2 pork shoulders out there at 225, 2 hours later- pfft! I’ve got the Cochinita Pibil in the oven now. Too late and too dark to troubleshoot now.
It’s got to be auger related, tune in tomorrow for the exciting conclusion.

Put 2 pork shoulders out there at 225, 2 hours later- pfft! I’ve got the Cochinita Pibil in the oven now. Too late and too dark to troubleshoot now.
It’s got to be auger related, tune in tomorrow for the exciting conclusion.
Let us know!

I pre marinated them- used the leftover marinade, thought all the spices would carry into the smoke flavor. 🥸
Sure sounds like you did everything right, keep us posted.

Rain delay - I've got it emptied and working, taking the front panel off will have to wait. The auger has at least an inch of forward/backward movement. Odd thing is pushing it back away from the firepot will stall it. Pulling it forward makes it go again. Initially I though the hitch pin clip would be the issue, but the way it's behaving is like the whole motor is unmounted and doesn't have any leverage against anything unless I pull the auger forward.

Pibil turned out great anyway. Tacos for days...

Rain delay - I've got it emptied and working, taking the front panel off will have to wait. The auger has at least an inch of forward/backward movement. Odd thing is pushing it back away from the firepot will stall it. Pulling it forward makes it go again. Initially I though the hitch pin clip would be the issue, but the way it's behaving is like the whole motor is unmounted and doesn't have any leverage against anything unless I pull the auger forward.

Pibil turned out great anyway. Tacos for days...
I think there is a white plastic bushing that needs to locked to prevent that movement. Or, use a different pellet marinade :unsure:

IMG_2360.jpeg

It’s these guys. They start to strip if you give it any torque against the white bushing.

I guess there may have been a pellet jam and it backed itself out. Noticed a lot of sawdust, not a total plug up like when it gets rained on.

Going to depot, get some newer, harder screws.

View attachment 20558
It’s these guys. They start to strip if you give it any torque against the white bushing.

I guess there may have been a pellet jam and it backed itself out. Noticed a lot of sawdust, not a total plug up like when it gets rained on.

Going to depot, get some newer, harder screws.
Ace hardware, if you have one nearby, is a much better source for quality hardware than one of the BORGs.

Ace hardware, if you have one nearby, is a much better source for quality hardware than one of the BORGs.
BORG 5min - Ace 20 min
So, it’s not simply a 7mm cap screw. Right side is closer to the box, therefore right side needs some persuasion for the socket to get on and off the new screw. Left side went fine.

I thought by going with a hex head I was solving the stripping issue for the future. Now I need a socket and a hammer next time I’m doing this.
This is a bit of that Chinese quality control, obviously the fitting is slightly crooked.

This is a bit of that Chinese quality control, obviously the fitting is slightly crooked.
Control check, Quality not likely. Too bad you don’t have a fastener supplier near you. I am lucky have one 7Mins away. Top shelf stuff. Good luck in your efforts.

Control check, Quality not likely. Too bad you don’t have a fastener supplier near you. I am lucky have one 7Mins away. Top shelf stuff. Good luck in your efforts.
The 7mm hex cap will do fine. I can use a socket now, no worries of stripping the head. I just wanted it done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back