Is it just me?

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I think I may have mentioned this before but if so I’ve forgotten so…

Working on my 1st Chuck Roast. The stall hit at 150 where it took an hour or so for me to realize that’s what was going on. Put it in a covered foil pan with some broth, 2 hrs later it hit 195 so I uncovered the pan and left it in figuring I’d start checking for tender at 200ish. Over the next hour the temp dropped to 181, bumped up the temp from 225 to 275 and the meat temp is just starting to rise, 30 min
later.

I‘ve noticed this temp drop in multiple kinds of meat when I unwrap it, ribs, brisket, and now Chuck, can anyone take a crack at explaining why? Do others see the same thing?

I think I may have mentioned this before but if so I’ve forgotten so…

Working on my 1st Chuck Roast. The stall hit at 150 where it took an hour or so for me to realize that’s what was going on. Put it in a covered foil pan with some broth, 2 hrs later it hit 195 so I uncovered the pan and left it in figuring I’d start checking for tender at 200ish. Over the next hour the temp dropped to 181, bumped up the temp from 225 to 275 and the meat temp is just starting to rise, 30 min
later.

I‘ve noticed this temp drop in multiple kinds of meat when I unwrap it, ribs, brisket, and now Chuck, can anyone take a crack at explaining why? Do others see the same thing?
No idea. When it's happened to me, I just chase it with tin foil and the knob on the front of my 700............:eek::LOL:

https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...nce/understanding-and-beating-barbecue-stall/

FWIW

The results are pretty clear. In the graph, the sponge is the red line and the fat is the blue line. The fat did not have a stall at all. It slowly and steadily heated on a nice gradual curve. But brother, did the sponge ever stall. It climbed at about the same rate as the fat for the first hour to about 140°F, and then it put on the brakes. In fact, it even went down in temp! When it dried out after more than 4 hours, it took off again.

Thanks Ken, the last section of the write up, where it explains the Texas wrap, is what I’ve been experiencing, exactly.

Guess when wrapping I need to leave the meat wrapped till I hit my desired done temp, something to try anyway. I’ve been unwrapping before that, as in 195 today, too low to be probe tender, hence I get stuck waiting through the temp drop and it slowly climb back up to the higher probe tender temp.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back