Stampede Right way to do pizza

I have a Lodge cast iron pizza baking pan. Works great!
Great idea. I've broken three pizza stones in ovens before I got my 590. I'm going cast iron. Might even use my iron skillet and start off with a small pizza. Plenty big enough for me and my small appetite DW.

I have been cooking Pizza on the Bullseye quite a few times using the GrillGrates. The grill side works better for me. The pizzas have generally been very good.

My main issue I am having is when doing that way you have to roll the dough out and then figure out how to transfer to the grill. The dough is so flimsy and tacky. Yesterday I rolled out on butcher paper and placed on Bullseye dough side down then peeled paper off. Worked ok, but there has to be a better way.

I have been cooking Pizza on the Bullseye quite a few times using the GrillGrates. The grill side works better for me. The pizzas have generally been very good.

My main issue I am having is when doing that way you have to roll the dough out and then figure out how to transfer to the grill. The dough is so flimsy and tacky. Yesterday I rolled out on butcher paper and placed on Bullseye dough side down then peeled paper off. Worked ok, but there has to be a better way.
Use a wood pizza peel coated with some flour and corn meal and the raw dough should slide right off, at least that's what works for me.

I've also made the pizza on parchment paper, then cut the paper close to the size of the pizza. It will allow you to easily slide the pizza on the grill, then once the dough starts to cook, remove the paper if it looks like it will burn. I use a stone and the paper doesn't burn.

IMG_3421.JPG

Yesterday I rolled out on butcher paper and placed on Bullseye dough side down then peeled paper off. Worked ok, but there has to be a better way.
I used to make a lot of fresh dough pizza (rarely do anymore) and I always had the same problem. I usually don’t care much for unitasker products, but the Super Peel works amazing. I’m not sure if they even still sell it-all sales are through Amazon now and Amazon doesn’t show any product in stock.

I just put my pizza dough (from Trader Joe's) on a piece of foil, then put it into my Bull. Once the dough has firmed up a bit I slide it off directly onto the grate to get it crunchy. I fit 4 rectangular pizzas in there side by side. Perfect for when another couple comes over and we can all make our own. They come out amazing!

I use parchment paper, slides off peel effortlessly. You can pull pp out after it sits on grill for a few minutes. Gets the bottom nice and crispy.

I used to make a lot of fresh dough pizza (rarely do anymore) and I always had the same problem. I usually don’t care much for unitasker products, but the Super Peel works amazing. I’m not sure if they even still sell it-all sales are through Amazon now and Amazon doesn’t show any product in stock.
This isn’t the same exact product, but it’s a similar one made by the same company, and it appears to be in stock.

A few years back I picked up a pizza stone set as I use different size grills and such. The set is 5 stones you arrange as needed. You do have to be a bit careful that you don't move one when using your peel. https://fallsculinary.com/product/5-piece-dough-joe-pizza-and-baking-stone-set/
I've used kiln linner stones, which are the same material (cordierite) as the ones you linked. Experimenting with different thickness stones, we noticed 1" thick stones, like the ones you linked took nearly 1.5 hours to reach temp, whereas 3/4" or thinner stones took 45 minutes or less to reach temp. Who would have though, another 1/4" of stone would double the time to reach temp?

I've used kiln linner stones, which are the same material (cordierite) as the ones you linked. Experimenting with different thickness stones, we noticed 1" thick stones, like the ones you linked took nearly 1.5 hours to reach temp, whereas 3/4" or thinner stones took 45 minutes or less to reach temp. Who would have though, another 1/4" of stone would double the time to reach temp?
Takes me about an hour, which if I'm using the house oven is about how long it takes for it to stabilize at 550.

I noticed stones in the smoker get covered with soot, I changed to using cast iron skillets for easier cleanup.

Takes me about an hour, which if I'm using the house oven is about how long it takes for it to stabilize at 550.
I use either the gas grill or a pizza oven to bring the stone to 700F+
Many people are now using a pizza steel in place of a stone since it's easier to put pizza on and take it off then using a skillet, but whatever works for you is the right way (y)

Cooked 4 pizzas this weekend, they came out OK. The dough makes a huge difference! I was getting dough from a local place that was awesome and it was $1.25! Moved so not sure of local pizza places.
I used the Urban Slicers dough, it is NOT good, very flat. That is the main difference. I have emailed them and they wont email me back so there you go!
Overall my cooks on the Bullseye with GG has gone well just need to figure out the dough!
Hopefully will settle on the Blackstone this weekend so a Pizza Oven is not on the radar .
Wife is insisting I build an area for my grills!

This weekend cooking smash burgers, chicken, pork chops and ribs Monday. Will try to post!

College Football starts!!!! WOOHOO!!

Go Tigers!

Have you tried making your own dough? Been using this one https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017931-pizza-dough

Make it one afternoon, stick it in the fridge overnight, cut into whatever size balls you want the next day and freeze them in oiled zip lock bags. On a day you want pizza take it out of the freezer a few hours before use.

I make 1 ball big enough for 2 of us and a couple small ones to make lunches for myself when I get a hankering.

Have you tried making your own dough? Been using this one https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017931-pizza-dough

Make it one afternoon, stick it in the fridge overnight, cut into whatever size balls you want the next day and freeze them in oiled zip lock bags. On a day you want pizza take it out of the freezer a few hours before use.

I make 1 ball big enough for 2 of us and a couple small ones to make lunches for myself when I get a hankering.
Agreed on making your own dough. I've been making pizza dough for decades in a old kitcheniad mixer with dough hook. Make a large batch and freeze individual dough balls for whenever you want pizza. Plenty of recipes out there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back