Hello From Colorado

Mike260

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Mike from So Central CO here. The Stampede is my second pellet grill. My first, a Traeger, lasted 6 days before I took it back for a refund (THAT was a goat rope). Fortunately, I found Rec Tec a week later, and have never looked back. I'm not a competition cook by any means, and a lot of people would tell you, with some justification, I'm no cook at all. But the Rec Tec makes me look good! The last thing I cooked, 3-2-1 pork ribs, was so good, I ate them right off the cutting board standing at the island! Salmon, jerky, smoked cheeses, steaks, and burgers have all gotten rave reviews, so perhaps my cooking reputation will improve. Maybe I'm geting cocky, but I'm thinking about smoking our Thanksgiving turkey.

I've still got a lot of questions like; how do I input various details below my avatar (name, location, grill owned, retired AF, etc) and about how long will it take a whole turkey to reach 165/170 cooking at 350?

One tip I would pass on (I know ... pretty presumptuous for a new guy, huh?): When I want to heat up the Grill Grates to sear a steak, I put a welder's blanket over the lid to drive the pit temp up as quickly as possible. Last time I did this, temp climbed rapidly and hit 595 with no end in sight, so i thought "enough is enough" and pulled the blanket and seared supper. I don't know if that's harmful to the grill; I haven't asked Rec Tec, but it doesn't appear to be.

I'll most likely read far more than I post, so I'll say thanks in advance for all the good info.

Mike

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back