charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Does the Rec Tec grills come with a grill grate removal tool to lift the grates out especially if they are a little warm?

Does this one look like it would work?

1595270921689.png

WHY DO YOU ASK????
Well, I am use to charcoal grill where I would heat up the grates while the charcoal is flaming up to help clean it up good. Then I would take the grates off to cool, them put them back on to cook. I would think with the pellet grill you don't do that, I am a rookie. But if you have an issue you might want to take the grates off to get to the pot for some reason. I would rather have a grate tool to do that. I guess putting on gloves works too.

Well, I am use to charcoal grill where I would heat up the grates while the charcoal is flaming up to help clean it up good. Then I would take the grates off to cool, them put them back on to cook. I would think with the pellet grill you don't do that, I am a rookie. But if you have an issue you might want to take the grates off to get to the pot for some reason. I would rather have a grate tool to do that. I guess putting on gloves works too.

I've never removed the grates to cool before cooking on any grill. Why do you do that?

I never remove the grate for cleaning just use the stainless steel pot scrubber on the top. Don't worry about what's stuck on the bottom as it will be thoroughly sterilized before the meat is on it. Just remove the grate when cold to change foil and vac out the bottom.

What I do is before firing up the grill is spray clean grates with Pam or similar spray, then after the cook, when grates cool, clean. The spray makes it easy to clean since the crud does not stick as hard. If doing the scraping method, fine, again the spray makes it easier to scrape.

I use a pumas block to clean my grate when they get bad. the block quickly wears grooves in it and its fast and easy to get clean. Then I remiove when cool and hose off the grit left behind. If I’m feeling really anal, I will also flip the grates over and take the pumas block over the back side too.

Just a quick rinse with a hose and its ready to go. While I have the grates off is when I just change the foil on the drip tray and vac out the bottom. Unless I just did a really fatty piece of meat like pork butts, I give my 700 a good cleaning every 5 or 6 cooks. I’m just talking about vac, foil and grate cleaning. I haven’t yet cleaned the stainless yet, that might be a once a year thing. I’ve got 40-50 hours of cooking on my new 700 and only cleaned twice. Both times like 10-15 minutes to do so I dont mind at all.

How about this? Don't know if the spacing is right, you'd have to get one to find out.
Grid Lifter
WOW, thanks @padlin00. That is exactly what I wanted and I think it would work good. I have already gotten this one. If it doesn't work too good I will get the one you posted. Thanks again

1595877542396.png

Thanks to @padlin00 I am returning my grill gate removal tool back to Amazon and ordered this one from Amazon. It is a lot nicer and also stainless steel. Wished I had seen it earlier.

1595936172496.png

I thought I had seen it all but maybe not. I guess I will throw away my pliers! Maybe cut off my fingers too! Reminds me of the old RS song Paint It Black.

@padlin00 got the Broil King grate lifter today. She is a beauty. Sure glad you found it. I am pretty sure she will work on our grate grills. Will know for sure Friday. My RT-590 Stampede is scheduled for delivery in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Interesting... I usually just wait till they are cool to do anything with my grates... I just use gloves either way when the heat is on...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back