Foil your drip pan

Bull & Eggs

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I see that quite a few people opt to not foil their drip pans because in their opinion it's not that much of a pain in the rear to scrape and clean. Well, what could be easier than this? And look at that mirror shine finish underneath. Ok, so it's only one week old, hahaha, but still. No brainer for me.

Attachments

• 20200410_174046.jpg
    20200410_174046.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 481
  • 20200410_173939.jpg
    20200410_173939.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 367
I see that quite a few people opt to not foil their drip pans because in their opinion it's not that much of a pain in the rear to scrape and clean. Well, what could be easier than this? And look at that mirror shine finish underneath. Ok, so it's only one week old, hahaha, but still. No brainer for me.
I always use foil. My wife bought me another pellet grill product that replaces the foil. Comes as a whole, 1 piece sheet. Not a big deal. My regular foil is just as good.

I foil also and change the foil according to what I cooked as a time frame. Yesterday I cooked two butts 2 racks of ribs and bacon candy. The foil was a mess for sure.About ounce a month I spray the drip pan with degreaser and clean it anyhow as some grease will still get on the pan.

It may not be shiney but it is CLEAN :)

The grease seems to some how allways gets behind the foil on the drip pan anyways I now save the foil to wrap food and scrape the drip pan. A shinny grill on the inside is a grill not used enough. I keep the surface's that the food touches clean and the rest is what we call seasoned.

I have used foil in the pot for every smoke and it's just as clean as when I got it. I just take out a sheet of foil, place it around the outside of the pot and squeeze together to make the "mold" then place the foil inside the pot and then fold the foil over the top edge for a good seal. Works great every time.

I have done both. I started without foil. Had a drip pan i scraped. And it isn't difficult. But it sure is messy. After 2 years this way, i got to the point where my cleaning of the drip pan was taking a lot of time. So, i ordered a new one. And i have been using foil method.

Long cooks almost always end up with grease sneaking through. I degrease it and scrape it if i need to and so far pretty good. I took the old one and spent two days on that bad boy. 25% stuff stayed burnt in so to speak, but it is mostly clean and is my back up. Now i can get the second one wrapped and ready for the next clean (which makes the clean up time minutes. vac... little de greaser and replace with pre-wrapped second pan.

I think in the long run not wrapping might be a mess. I was actually planning to post a question here in a second when i saw this. "When is the RecTec clean?". So, this is working for me.

I probably change my foil out more often than I should. But I like having a clean and ready to go pit. The grates get cleaned after each cook so I don't have to do a hot burn to sterilize, the pot and pit bottom get vac'd after either any long cook or multiple short cooks, and I change the foil if there's any significant grease on it.

I especially like to change out the foil after fish. I don't want fishy grease smoke on other foods.

For me, foiling works.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back