Bull First Cook Complete..

FreakDawg76

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
As the title suggests, my burn in and first cook are complete. I did chicken thighs. Unit set point was 400 and it reached that and stayed there. The issue I had was with the temp probe. I had my target set at 180 and stuck the probe into the meatiest thigh on the rack making sure to not touch the bone. The probe temp reached 180 within 28 mins which was nowhere near done. Luckily I had an instant read pen to check temps so I wasn’t that worried about it. But, for future cooks I’d like to be able to rely upon the probes if possible . I assume I need to do the ice water calibration with the temp offset? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated ! … oh, and the chicken was phenomenal .. :)

As the title suggests, my burn in and first cook are complete. I did chicken thighs. Unit set point was 400 and it reached that and stayed there. The issue I had was with the temp probe. I had my target set at 180 and stuck the probe into the meatiest thigh on the rack making sure to not touch the bone. The probe temp reached 180 within 28 mins which was nowhere near done. Luckily I had an instant read pen to check temps so I wasn’t that worried about it. But, for future cooks I’d like to be able to rely upon the probes if possible . I assume I need to do the ice water calibration with the temp offset? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated

! … oh, and the chicken was phenomenal .. :)
Thigh thickness 1/2 - 3/4" probe location +/- 1/8" measurement uncertainty. Probes in this circumstance are an indication, not a final measure.

Make sure the nut holding the probe port on the controller is tight and that the probe is fully seated when you plug it in. They can both cause wonky temp readings.

I've experienced a wildly different temperature reading once on twice. Waterboy is spot on. My probes don't like to seat all the way in unless I make an extra effort. If I do that, they match my Thermapens pretty well.

Ok, so I just did the ice water test on both probes after making sure both nuts were secure.. temps read 36-37 degrees from both ports. Switched the one probe to both ports… maybe yesterday was user error? lol

Ok, tightened the nuts down .. now both probes read 34 degrees in the ice water.. I can live with that !
They can be adjusted at the control panel if the grill if you want. I am like you a degree or two is not going to ruin a cook since I check when close with an instant read thermometer.

You can try to calibrate or get these:

Upgraded Temperature Probe for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LMQ2Q8K?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Plug and play for me with these within 1-2 degrees faithfully. But as always, sometimes you get a rotten apple in the bag. My buddy prefers his RT probes.
I can say from experience these work great. Both my dad and I have gotten these and work perfectly out of the box. I messed with the RecTeq ones for awhile but gave up. I would find they would be fine using the ice water test but when cooking a brisket/pork butt, the higher the temp would get(internally), the more they would be off. I got these back in 2019 and I think I've had to replace like one of them during that time. I highly recommend them.

I can say from experience these work great. Both my dad and I have gotten these and work perfectly out of the box. I messed with the RecTeq ones for awhile but gave up. I would find they would be fine using the ice water test but when cooking a brisket/pork butt, the higher the temp would get(internally), the more they would be off. I got these back in 2019 and I think I've had to replace like one of them during that time. I highly recommend them.
I’ll give em a go… are they sold in singles or pairs ?

singles. I see there are back down to $14.99. That's what I said but I've seen them up to $20 at times.

Ordered lol.. I almost bought some grill grates too, but I figured since I have a blackstone right beside the RT, that I really don’t need em…. Blackstone should provide adequate sear..

Just go to You Tube. Search for Recteq Meat Probe Calibration and see the simple way to adjust the probes.

Just go to You Tube. Search for Recteq Meat Probe Calibration and see the simple way to adjust the probes.
I’d say they’re already pretty close to dead on. I tightened the nuts on the controller a good bit as they were loose af. I ordered those probes anyway because I was off today, and bored and Amazon always gets me 😂

Ordered lol.. I almost bought some grill grates too, but I figured since I have a blackstone right beside the RT, that I really don’t need em…. Blackstone should provide adequate sear..
If you have blackstone, really no reason to get the sear grates. Smash burgers :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back