Bull First Cook - 3 Rack of Rib - Not Great

ScottR18

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I just bought a RT-700 and cooked some chicken thighs on it to season it. Yesterday I went big and smoked 3 racks of baby back ribs. This is my first pellet grill and have only smoked on a WSM. I have always used a water pan on the WSM so I assumed I should/needed to use one on the Bull. I smoked the ribs using the 3-2-1 method and I placed the water pan right next to the interior temperature sensor. I think that must have given the controller a false temperature reading. It held steady at 225 for the entire 6 hour cook. At the end of 6 hours the ribs were only at 180, so I left them on for another hour but I could not get them to 195-200.. I have smoked ribs a dozen time on my WSM and at the end of 6 hours they just melt off the bone.

Could it have been the water pan placement or the water pan in general? I also sealed the lid with a high temp gasket to keep as mush smoke/heat in as possible.

1590328510607.png

No water pan is needed on these grills and if you insist on using one put it in the right rear corner of the grill. Same when using a smoke tube, don't place it near the RTD probe.

I have also found my Bull was talking a longer amount of time to finish the cooks than recipes called for. I finally checked the Pit temperature and it was low by about 25 degrees, so I made the adjustments in the settings menu on the controller, cooking times are near perfect now.

Water pan must have gave it a false reading. Test it by putting it in the same place and use a temp probe placed to the right side of the grill. Just prop it up on a small mound of aluminum foil. Let the grill come up to temp and compare the grill temp to the probe temp.

Hey thanks everyone I am going to do some temperature testing. I first blamed it on the Costco ribs but I have always bought Costco ribs. :ROFLMAO:

Pellets can also impact. I don't find it messing with my temps as much. That is the point of the controller. But, i have noticed that certain types burn a little more "dry".

I agree with you that the quality of the meat is also a big factor. I am with you that generally my experiences with costco has been great. But, during the pandemic i have had to go with some that look different. This week we used a brand that was different than i normally buy. (all that was available). I have heard/read that it was higher quality than i normally order.

Well.... they were dry and little crispy in some spots. A couple of the bones broke which grossed my daughters out, etc.

Good luck on the adjustments. I guess my pov is that i have had far too many great rib cooks for me to blame the rectec. The few bad ones there has always been some deviation that i didn't realize was happening during the cook but when they came out bad i looked back and realized... different meat... tried different pellets... etc.

Good luck!

Yeah my first reaction was to blame the meat because in no time way could it have been my fault... ha.. but then I started going through the cook in my head and come to realize it was user setup error!! Good thing it was only on a $25 3 rack or ribs and not a $50 brisket.

Yeah my first reaction was to blame the meat because in no time way could it have been my fault... ha.. but then I started going through the cook in my head and come to realize it was user setup error!! Good thing it was only on a $25 3 rack or ribs and not a $50 brisket.
I here ya I hate when I screw up expensive cuts of meats.

I smoked the ribs using the 3-2-1 method
So I just tried this method the other day on a rack or ribs myself. I've smoked ribs before in my small electric smoker and had awesome results. This time they weren't nearly as tender as I've had before. In the end, I'm marking it up as learning from each cook and changing parts of the cook to get back to results I look for.
Good thing it was only on a $25 3 rack or ribs and not a $50 brisket.
This exactly. I'm building confidence by smoking cheaper cuts and different types of meat. I did a whole beer can chicken the other day and it was awesome. Juicy and tender, just need to work on skin crispiness. Building up to that brisket though!

So I just tried this method the other day on a rack or ribs myself. I've smoked ribs before in my small electric smoker and had awesome results. This time they weren't nearly as tender as I've had before. In the end, I'm marking it up as learning from each cook and changing parts of the cook to get back to results I look for.
There is defiantly a learning curve but I know that in the end it will be well worth it.

I just bought a RT-700 and cooked some chicken thighs on it to season it. Yesterday I went big and smoked 3 racks of baby back ribs. This is my first pellet grill and have only smoked on a WSM. I have always used a water pan on the WSM so I assumed I should/needed to use one on the Bull. I smoked the ribs using the 3-2-1 method and I placed the water pan right next to the interior temperature sensor. I think that must have given the controller a false temperature reading. It held steady at 225 for the entire 6 hour cook. At the end of 6 hours the ribs were only at 180, so I left them on for another hour but I could not get them to 195-200.. I have smoked ribs a dozen time on my WSM and at the end of 6 hours they just melt off the bone.

Could it have been the water pan placement or the water pan in general? I also sealed the lid with a high temp gasket to keep as mush smoke/heat in as possible.

View attachment 4177
I made 7 racks of ribs in my RT-590 and RT-340 this weekend using the 3-2-1 method at 225 and they turned out great. Don't use the water pan in any rectec model. The rectec system is designed not to need it. It will definitely alter your temp readings. Spritz the ribs with whatever you like while they smoke (I use 3:1 apple juice / apple cider vinegar).

I made 7 racks of ribs in my RT-590 and RT-340 this weekend using the 3-2-1 method at 225 and they turned out great. Don't use the water pan in any rectec model. The rectec system is designed not to need it. It will definitely alter your temp readings. Spritz the ribs with whatever you like while they smoke (I use 3:1 apple juice / apple cider vinegar).
thanks I am going to smoke some more Fathers day weekend along with a brisket.

I just smokem straight though - no wrap no fussing around. rub the baby backs and toss them on at 250 to IT of about 195-200. sometimes i sauce near the end...sometimes i dont. always juicy and delish.

There is defiantly a learning curve but I know that in the end it will be well worth it.
Yeah, I was used to stick burning and the temp swings associated with that process. When I started using my Trailblazer everything took longer than used to. Once I figured out what was going on and adjusted my cooking times, cooks began to make more sense, from a time perspective.

My favorite rib cook is a 3-2-1 for St. Louis style and 2-2-1 for B backs. Depending on thickness of the BB's, I may adjust the wrap time. I always use butcher's paper.

What temps did you use in the 340?? I can’t seems to keep mine moist with my Rec Tec..never had a problem with my old Traeger

View attachment 4177

I see this dry look on ribs wihen I do a very low temp cook. If doing hot and fast, I see fat rendered to the surface and bark forming. The issue with a hot and fast cook on the pellet grills is they don't put out much smoke at higher temps. So, when I do a very low temp cook, I've been basting/spritzing. It usually just takes a few times about a third of the way thru the cook to "get them going" toward a good moist surface that will form into a bark. I've used broth spiked with rub and a little bit of vegetable oil.

View attachment 4177
I've smoked spares and baby backs many times on my 680. Always go 2-3-1 and use Heavy D. Always fall off bone. Never bother with checking temps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back