Stampede First 15-hour cook on the 590

Foodkid

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Well I got a 10 lb Smithfield bone-in pork shoulder nicely marbled with a thin fat cap so I probably will not be trimming much. My cook plan is as follows. I am pretty much going to follow the RT YouTube video. For a binder, I am going to use molasses mixed with Dijon mustard and then an all-purpose rub. I will be using 100% hickory pellets from LJ and Smoke Ring. Then I will put it on the 590 at 7 PM tonight at 225 till about 10 PM then I will crank it up to 250 for the evening. I figure internal temp should be 160 by about 5 or 6 in the morning at which time I will wrap in tin foil put back on the grill and maybe turn it up to 300/350 to finish. Since this is the first time I will be doing cook while I sleep I am a little concerned about that so I really cleaned the 590 vacuumings out all ash. I would appreciate any input on doing an overnight cook that may ease my mind. Also, if anyone wants to comment on my cook plan I welcome your feedback. I will take pics of the finished product and post them tomorrow or Sunday

I haven't yet smoked any shoulders, but have done many Butts. I usually put these on around 3am for a 12 hour or so cook. What's the planned dinner time? I would keep at 225 for the whole cook, especially is you want to maximize smokiness. Wrapping in foil and upping to the 300's may speed things up too much to get the desired rendering needed. I've never used molasses for a binder before, but would that lead to a burnt exterior? I'm sure others will chime in on that one.

As far as the overnight cook, keeping it clean is best, I also will move mine further away from the house just in case something wrong occurs. That has never happened, but at least a better piece of mind.

Well I got a 10 lb Smithfield bone-in pork shoulder nicely marbled with a thin fat cap so I probably will not be trimming much. My cook plan is as follows. I am pretty much going to follow the RT YouTube video. For a binder, I am going to use molasses mixed with Dijon mustard and then an all-purpose rub. I will be using 100% hickory pellets from LJ and Smoke Ring. Then I will put it on the 590 at 7 PM tonight at 225 till about 10 PM then I will crank it up to 250 for the evening. I figure internal temp should be 160 by about 5 or 6 in the morning at which time I will wrap in tin foil put back on the grill and maybe turn it up to 300/350 to finish. Since this is the first time I will be doing cook while I sleep I am a little concerned about that so I really cleaned the 590 vacuumings out all ash. I would appreciate any input on doing an overnight cook that may ease my mind. Also, if anyone wants to comment on my cook plan I welcome your feedback. I will take pics of the finished product and post them tomorrow or Sunday
I vacuum and clean after about 24 hours of actual use. Some do and some don't but that's my preference.
I haven't had any issue with over night cooks. Make sure grill is away from flammable objects like your house and grill away!

Molasses may leave a burnt taste to your finished product ?
A secondary digital alarm set for high/low pit temps. Ex. 160°- 350°

I've used molasses on a pork butt, but kept it at 225 the entire cook. No burnt taste, though it was just a thin coating for the rub to stick.

I'd at least leave it at 225 or less for overnight to be safe. I've never cranked it up to 300/350 to finish a butt, never really gone above 250 for low and slow, but do what ever you think is best.

When I do any kind of overnight cook, I make sure I have a thermometer with an alarm by my bed. That way I can monitor the temperature in the grill as well as the temperature of my meat. If there's an issue, I'll know right away.

I use the Thermoworks Smoke X. It gives me a peace of mind.
For an overnight cook I would do 225 personally. You can always crank it up in the morning if you want.

Make sure you post pictures!!

Well, my 15-hour cook went faster than I thought. I put it on at 7 pm wrapped at 2:30 am and took off the grill at 6:30 AM 205 internal temp. I took everyone's advice and stayed at 225 the whole cook. My guest are not coming over till 1 PM. Now what do I do? so far I have left it wrapped with a towel around it. Any other suggestions? Will post pics after I unwrap it.

That's a long time to have it sitting in the cooler. People do it. I don't let mine sit for more than 3 hours.
What are you doing with the pork? Are you planning to pull it? If so, I would do that and simply reheat it when your guests arrive.

That's a long time to have it sitting in the cooler. People do it. I don't let mine sit for more than 3 hours.
What are you doing with the pork? Are you planning to pull it? If so, I would do that and simply reheat it when your guests arrive.
Thanks, Beth I will probably do that and also, take your advice on the thermoworks

Well, my 15-hour cook went faster than I thought. I put it on at 7 pm wrapped at 2:30 am and took off the grill at 6:30 AM 205 internal temp. I took everyone's advice and stayed at 225 the whole cook. My guest are not coming over till 1 PM. Now what do I do? so far I have left it wrapped with a towel around it. Any other suggestions? Will post pics after I unwrap it.
I don't know what happens sitting at rest state but I'll share this with you and the group:

The 4-hour rule is a general food safety guideline that suggests that the internal temperature of meat should increase from 40°F to 140°F within 4 hours. This is due to foodborne bacteria growing much faster within this temperature range (known as the “danger zone”).

Update on my pork butt/ shoulder: One little twist and the bone came right out with no meat on it. the pork was very tender with a lot of moisture. The taste was very good except next time I will work on getting more smoke into the meat. All in All I am very happy with my first overnight cook. not happy with my pics but here they are. Thank you everyone for your input

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 0 2.jpg
    0 2.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 0 3.jpg
    0 3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 67
It looks great for your first all-night cook! I spritz my pork with a mixture of cider vinegar and water throughout the cook. Moisture attracts smoke. Kind of tough when you're doing this overnight.

One of the great things about this smoker is just experimenting with different techniques each time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back