Bull Fire After Shutdown

Beach Bum

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-B380X Bullseye Deluxe
I've been running my Bull for nine months with zero issues. The last two cooks have led to a nasty outcome after shutdown.

Each time I was cooking for several hours at 200 or 225. I finished and went through the shutdown process. While I did not watch the entire sequence, I know the fan was running, as it should be. About an hour later, after dinner, I went to the patio and found pellets on fire in the fire pot. The fire was starting to ignite into the auger. The pellet volume in the pot was small with no signs of excess dust or grease. It seemed like just the volume you would expect to be left by the auger for the next cook.

Any thoughts on this one? I'm going to give Recteq a ring in the morning.

I've been running my Bull for nine months with zero issues. The last two cooks have led to a nasty outcome after shutdown.

Each time I was cooking for several hours at 200 or 225. I finished and went through the shutdown process. While I did not watch the entire sequence, I know the fan was running, as it should be. About an hour later, after dinner, I went to the patio and found pellets on fire in the fire pot. The fire was starting to ignite into the auger. The pellet volume in the pot was small with no signs of excess dust or grease. It seemed like just the volume you would expect to be left by the auger for the next cook.

Any thoughts on this one? I'm going to give Recteq a ring in the morning.
Part of the shutdown process is to add about 45 seconds of auger runtime to add pellets. This was done for a quick startup and prevent PID loop windup which would start fires at the start of a cook. Traeger was well known for this fault and suggest leaving the lid opened during startup.

I'm curious what RT has to say about this issue and hopefully you will share with us, You're not the first to mention this issue.

This is why I keep my lid open during shut down. Allows the heat to vent and temps to drop fast not allowing the pellets to get to smoldering or ignition temps and cools the fire pot fast...

Please do keep us posted what they say. What concerns me the most is how low you had cooked at and it still happened.

Just spoke with Adam at Recteq. It was a bit windy last night (pretty mild by most folks standards), and I did have the probe cover open during and after shutdown. That combination may have allowed some airflow into the pit. This could have kept the firepot active after shutdown.

I guess we will see what happens on our next cook. While I had Adam, I asked him about more academy sessions. I figured that was a long shot, and unfortunately they are still sold out. He did not have insight on when more dates would be posted.

While I had Adam, I asked him about more academy sessions. I figured that was a long shot, and unfortunately they are still sold out. He did not have insight on when more dates would be posted.
I’d suggest contacting Chef Greg and ask him to be put on the wait list. He’s in charge of the registration for Academy, and people cancel all the time. That’s how the wife and I were able to go last December.

Just spoke with Adam at Recteq. It was a bit windy last night (pretty mild by most folks standards), and I did have the probe cover open during and after shutdown. That combination may have allowed some airflow into the pit. This could have kept the firepot active after shutdown.

I guess we will see what happens on our next cook. While I had Adam, I asked him about more academy sessions. I figured that was a long shot, and unfortunately they are still sold out. He did not have insight on when more dates would be posted.
I don't buy Adam's explanation about the probe cover. It's like an inch in diameter. You'd have to have a blower directly plugged in to it for what Adam said to happen.

I don't buy Adam's explanation about the probe cover. It's like an inch in diameter. You'd have to have a blower directly plugged in to it for what Adam said to happen.
Agreed. Adam's explanation is BS and counter to the law of physics and thermodynamics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back