Favourite scraper ?

Bama BBQ

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Interested in your favorite grill grate scraper, I personally avoid wire types because the risk is pretty high for food contamination. I normally use a wooden paddle style on my wood fire side box smokers but not really a good choice for a pellet grill.

I've gone with a 3-step system. This is the "gets everything that touches meat super clean in 60 seconds" solution for me.
  1. Kona Safe Grill Brush - I like this better than my grill grates brush. I grab it, quickly run over all the grill to get the big chunks off (they fall onto the drip plate), and set it aside. 20 seconds or so total.
  2. Grill Stone/Brick - Grab this, run it over all of the grill quickly to get the part that actually touches food perfectly clean. I find that getting the very top of each bar perfectly clean makes it a lot easier to clean deeper around the sides of the grates too. Again, 20 seconds here. This works on both the grill and especially well on the grill grates flat top aluminum searing plates.
  3. Wet paper towel - Run this over everything to wipe up all the dust left from the stone as well as get a little bit deeper around the grates. 10-15 seconds to do this. I can do this with bear hands if I want on a hot grill, but if I'm a few beers in I'll do it with grill gloves because I like beer. If desired I can do a lot more here and clean all around the bars to make them look factory-new which is way easier after using the stone, but that's really just for show and I almost never do that anymore.

And that's my 1 minute grill cleaning. Works well for me. The amount of time saved by adding stone/paper towel has been huge vs me trying to get it super clean with just a brush. And by the time the dust/other stuff builds up on the drip pan/shell, it's probably time to vacuum out the ash / firepot anyways so it all works out.

I use a stainless steel pot scrubber for the grate and a narrow putty knife for the grease trough and a 3/32" welding rod with a small ell bent in it for grease chute. When the pot scrubber gets gunked up I soak it in straight "Totally Awesome" for a few hour and then rinse it out in running hot water.

I use this nylon Char-Broil brush on the grates and a plastic putty knife in the barrel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJ3C28I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1611490349136.png

Here lately I've just been using a ball of aluminum foil. You can use this method either before cooking or after the grill has been warmed up - just make sure you get some grill gloves.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.