Estimated time remaining

fatcleo

Is there a tool or app that will use the information being given from your rec teq probes while cooking showing an approximate time remaining to achieve your desired temp? I know you can look in the current cook data and estimate it yourself. But it would be nice if it just calculated it for you and placed that info on the app screen

Nope. Meater is the only probe that I know of that does that, and I wonder how accurate it is on large pieces of meat, like a brisket.

Is there a tool or app that will use the information being given from your rec teq probes while cooking showing an approximate time remaining to achieve your desired temp? I know you can look in the current cook data and estimate it yourself. But it would be nice if it just calculated it for you and placed that info on the app screen
The hungrier you are, the longer it takes.
EDIT Guests will increase cooking time.

Nope. Meater is the only probe that I know of that does that, and I wonder how accurate it is on large pieces of meat, like a brisket.
I just scoped it out on Amazon and it seems like it would be a pretty good tool to have as long as it is accurate. But there are A LOT of mixed reviews…

The MEATER+ is absolutely horrible at predicting cooking times for medium to large cuts of meat, which for the most part are the only cooks that would benefit from a prediction on cook times. It’s fairly accurate on items like a whole chicken, but I’m pretty accurate at predicting time to cook that myself.

I agree with GJ. I have the 4 probe and its predictions stink. The longer the cook, the less accurate. I typically only use it for rotisserie chicken and other similar items, but only for the internal temps. An example of its limited capabilities was when I cooked a brisket and it never came under 25 hours remaining even though it cleared the stall. Of course, your mileage may vary and it you place the probe into the protein carefully, you may get better results. The ambient temps are usually a little high but within range.

give yourself extra time and just use the long rest in a cooler at the end for a buffer. Hold at 135 or higher. I use a soft sided cooler and a bunch of old towels. Make sure the cooler has no airspace fill well with towels. Have meat in center. Generally for a starting weight of 8lbs or larger it will hold for 4 hours without dropping below the 135. 4 hours is a good enough buffer in most cases.

Anyone that's done this for a while knows that there is no way of accurately estimating the remaining cook time. On something like a pork shoulder, I'm as repeatable as I can be: same size cut of meat, same grill, same pellets, same precook procedure, etc.. Even with all that, the onset of the stall, length of stall and total cooking time can still vary significantly.

Total cook time is based on too many variables that a temperature probe cannot measure: atmospheric conditions such as relative humidity, barometric pressure and wind; meat properties such as moisture and fat content, density, etc.

Total cook time is based on too many variables that a temperature probe cannot measure: atmospheric conditions such as relative humidity, barometric pressure and wind; meat properties such as moisture and fat content, density, etc.
Then there's always this... 25+ years ago, I never thought much about this evil thing. Now I know better.

1665286426392.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back