Beef Smoked Corned Beef Brisket

TonyC

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Don’t know how many of you have ever smoked a corned beef brisket, but it is a treat to not be missed. Because they come brined, they are very forgiving- a brisket with training wheels. Because they are brined, rinsing and drying before seasoning is a good idea. I also delete salt from my rub. I’ve been smoking at 225 degrees to about 150 degrees, and spraying hourly with black mocha stout, before braising in a foil covered pan. My braise is 1/3 water, 1/3 black mocha stout, 1/3 beef stock, and the seasoning packet that comes with the brisket. If you want, add veggies like carrots, potatoe, and cabbage to the braise pan. This last one probed tender at 192 degrees. Total cooking time for this 3.7 lb brisket was 6.25 hours.

Attachments

• 4419597A-F104-4F49-BA66-F3790425D37E.jpeg
    4419597A-F104-4F49-BA66-F3790425D37E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 250
A month ago I cured and smoked my own pork belly bacon, and now that I’ve got the Prague powder (pink curing salt) on hand I’m planning to cure my own corned beef. I don’t plan to eat this as a boiled dinner, but rather cure it, cook it, chill it and slice it thin for deli meat. Most online guides assume it’s destined for a boiled dinner, so I can’t find a good internal temp to pull it before chilling it. Any ideas?

That looks so good, I love corned beef, I am going to do one for St Pattys day!

trimmed off all the fat. Soaked in water a few hours to remove a lot of the salt. Patted dry and added black pepper. Let set for about 30 minutes. Put on grill at low. Put on grill. After 3 hours brushed with apple juice. Brushed every hour. When it got to 145 degrees I turned up the temp to 225 when it got to 160 I wrapped in foil and applied more apple juice. Pulled when it hit 200 degrees.

easy but takes a lot of time when done slow. It tastes a lot better than one that has been boiled to mush.

Attachments

• FDB8AF57-A60D-4F67-919A-5BE1191B4D4F.jpeg
    FDB8AF57-A60D-4F67-919A-5BE1191B4D4F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 114
  • 8E72DC69-5AF9-4437-85D7-EEF290D146B8.jpeg
    8E72DC69-5AF9-4437-85D7-EEF290D146B8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
Don’t know how many of you have ever smoked a corned beef brisket, but it is a treat to not be missed. Because they come brined, they are very forgiving- a brisket with training wheels. Because they are brined, rinsing and drying before seasoning is a good idea. I also delete salt from my rub. I’ve been smoking at 225 degrees to about 150 degrees, and spraying hourly with black mocha stout, before braising in a foil covered pan. My braise is 1/3 water, 1/3 black mocha stout, 1/3 beef stock, and the seasoning packet that comes with the brisket. If you want, add veggies like carrots, potatoe, and cabbage to the braise pan. This last one probed tender at 192 degrees. Total cooking time for this 3.7 lb brisket was 6.25 hours.
I do smoke my corned beef on my RT-700. I don’t braise it as you described but I do wrap it. Regardless, that’s really good eating. Much better than a crock pot.

In hindsight, it seemed to taste more like pastrami. Could’ve been the flavor of pellets I used. Problem is I (now) don’t remember what flavor or blend I used.

You guys are killing me! Are usually have some corn beef in the freezer or fridge for Rubens. But it’s deli meat. I really need to get out there and crank up my 590.

And pastrami! My first taste of it was in the mid 70s. Walked out the back entrance of the Waldorf where I was staying and hung a left. Saw a diner across the street a few blocks away and, not knowing whether I would like it, I ordered a pastrami sandwich. The guy behind the counter, probably the owner, hollered back, One pistol. I put deli mustard on it and have been forever a captive of pastrami as well as corned beef.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back