Stampede Cook Ahead Question

Pops

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Greetings RT family, I am cooking a Beef Tenderloin for Easter, however we are traveling to the upstate in SC and I wont have access to my grills. So I was thinking about cooking my tenderloin today, to around 100-105, not searing, let rest and then freeze. Then thawing next Friday and finishing in the oven. I have cooked several tenderloins and all have been great. I have frozen the leftovers and they are still good.

Has anyone ever done this?

Is it safe to partially cook meat and then freeze it? Answer seems to be NO.

From USDA:

Never brown or partially cook meat or poultry to refrigerate and finish later because any bacteria present would not have been destroyed. It is safe to partially cook meat and poultry in the microwave or on the stove only if the food is transferred immediately to the hot grill to finish cooking.

I think it would be safe to fully cook it, vac seal it, and heat it back up in the bags (via simmering water, etc.).

Is it safe to partially cook meat and then freeze it? Answer seems to be NO.

From USDA:

Never brown or partially cook meat or poultry to refrigerate and finish later because any bacteria present would not have been destroyed. It is safe to partially cook meat and poultry in the microwave or on the stove only if the food is transferred immediately to the hot grill to finish cooking.

I think it would be safe to fully cook it, vac seal it, and heat it back up in the bags (via simmering water, etc.).
I agree with the vacuum sealing and freezing. Most of the bacteria that you would be worried about are obligate aerobes. In other words, they need oxygen to survive and reproduce. The freezing temperatures would further inhibit any reproduction. From there you would have a lot of options for finishing it, but simmering or sous vide in the vacuum sealed bag from frozen is an excellent option, especially from a food safety standpoint.

OK, I cooked to 115ish, then seared to 125ish, then vacuum sealed and put in freezer. I will let you know after Easter!

Any more thoughts would be appreciated, we really cook a lot and freeze. I freeze a lot for my son in college. He has said all have been great. I always put his in vacuum seal bags and freeze after cooking.

When he is ready for a delicious piece of tenderloin, picahna, or pulled pork he thaws out and heats up in boiling water, he likes a true medium.

I may need to get another food saver, the one I have always vacuums good, but when it is done sealing and I release a little air goes back in is that normal?

OK, I cooked to 115ish, then seared to 125ish, then vacuum sealed and put in freezer. I will let you know after Easter!

Any more thoughts would be appreciated, we really cook a lot and freeze. I freeze a lot for my son in college. He has said all have been great. I always put his in vacuum seal bags and freeze after cooking.

When he is ready for a delicious piece of tenderloin, picahna, or pulled pork he thaws out and heats up in boiling water, he likes a true medium.

I may need to get another food saver, the one I have always vacuums good, but when it is done sealing and I release a little air goes back in is that normal?
I have had no issues with my food saver, so I think yours might have a problem. I cooked and froze a brisket before Christmas. Made a two day 650 mile trip with it then sous vide it and it was great.

I second the Sous Vide method for reheating without worry of overheating, even if frozen. I've also been using it to cook, then sear on the grill and have never had a juicier tender meal. I didn't want to use the over used saying, but SV is a "game changer".

OK, @pungo I broke out my SV machine that I bought a year ago for this purpose, a little intimidating, but the time has arrived.

I will keep you posted and any insight into this strange way of cooking will be appreciated.

OK, @pungo I broke out my SV machine that I bought a year ago for this purpose, a little intimidating, but the time has arrived.

I will keep you posted and any insight into this strange way of cooking will be appreciated.
At first I thought you said you broke your SV machine! You will be fine-have a great Easter!

Well, I bought the SV machine specifically for re-heating my delicious meats I cook and freeze, but I have not used it yet.

However, I cook a lot and give my son in college lots of leftovers, i.e. Tenderloin, Pichana, Salmon, Chicken, etc, and give them to him in vacuum sealed bags. He told me a few weeks ago that he just puts the bags in boiling water to heat up and it is delicious....

Well, I bought the SV machine specifically for re-heating my delicious meats I cook and freeze, but I have not used it yet.
the meat,
However, I cook a lot and give my son in college lots of leftovers, i.e. Tenderloin, Pichana, Salmon, Chicken, etc, and give them to him in vacuum sealed bags. He told me a few weeks ago that he just puts the bags in boiling water to heat up and it is delicious....
Since water boils at 212, it's not doing the meat and justice over heating like that. Sure it will reheat the meat, but if the meat is not well done, it soon will be when in boiling water. Boiling water is still better than using a microwave, though he can turn the burner down some, it doesn't need to be boiling.

Using SV for reheating, you can set the temp and forget about it, plus since it has a pump to circulate the water, it just does a much better job. I have an inexpensive Inkbird that was $56 shipped, great purchase...

SV is ultimately better for reheating without danger of over cooking. Microwaves do get a bad rap for cooking or reheating because people don't use them correctly. Reheating cooked meat at 30% power or even less can give great results if not over done. You do need to reposition and turn the meat to get even heating.
SV is my preferred method.

OK, so I heated up the tenderloin in a SV bath at 130 for around 2.5 hours. It turned out great, more medium rare, and still had a smoky flavor. We served it for Easter to our son and some of his friends in the Upstate and they loved it, as did the wife. So from my point of view it was a success.

That being said, this was my first SV and I am still confused about how to use, but am willing to learn!

Thanks for all of your input.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back