charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I saw this post in FB recteq RT-B380 Bullseye Insiders group. Is anyone having Bullseye startup and attaining temp issues requiring an upgraded control board?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1935523300108137

Here is the post:
For those having difficulty with the Bullseye not starting and attaining temp as they should, the software upgrade control board does seem to be the fix. I did mine yesterday and it is doing just fine today. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Oh, and don't forget the big sale this weekend at RT....looking to see what the deal is on a Bull....

Last edited:
Well I changed out two, but since it came with one that’s three. Never got to try the third one as the fire pot and igniter are toast.
WOW, are you kidding me? I haven't heard of any Bullseye control issues. What is going on Greg? Did they they tell you they sent you the updated software control board? How hard is it to change out?

The controller isn’t hard to change out, but you have to remove the cover to access it. If you are also replacing the RTD probe, that’s a little more challenging just because of the tight spaces.

Yes, both controllers they sent were ‘upgrades’. I never had a controller out and out fail, they just were all over the place in how they worked.

The controller isn’t hard to change out, but you have to remove the cover to access it. If you are also replacing the RTD probe, that’s a little more challenging just because of the tight spaces.

Yes, both controllers they sent were ‘upgrades’. I never had a controller out and out fail, they just were all over the place in how they worked.
WOW, this is breaking my heart Greg. Wonder how many others are having issues! The only problem I have had is not knowing to use a drip pan and got grease leaks. But I don't think I use it near as much as you do. I got my Bullseye on 21 Aug 20. When did you get yours? The only thing I have done is change the Auger rate to 3.0 before I did the burn in.

My order was June 1st, first batch of the stainless models. I cooked on it multiple times most days. No exaggeration, we actually noticed a drop in our electric bill this summer compared to last, because I wasn’t using the indoor stove/oven much at all. It shows also, the grill looks 10 years old.

Attachments

• D93D4238-F385-4845-9348-4D58A97C4A03.jpeg
    D93D4238-F385-4845-9348-4D58A97C4A03.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
  • 8D3D3EEB-0FB0-4A70-BC72-26DC1E946620.jpeg
    8D3D3EEB-0FB0-4A70-BC72-26DC1E946620.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • 6D6EAB1E-0EFA-4631-8E5E-C761A8DAF5E0.jpeg
    6D6EAB1E-0EFA-4631-8E5E-C761A8DAF5E0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
  • A0206BD0-CBA9-4881-B66C-503759888156.jpeg
    A0206BD0-CBA9-4881-B66C-503759888156.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
My order was June 1st, first batch of the stainless models. I cooked on it multiple times most days. It shows also, the grill looks 10 years old.
My Bullseye exterior looks older than hell too but, I refuse to clean it. I want this grill to be a workhorse. I do keep the inside cleaned up real good. I had to pull up my firebox too to clean out grease in the airbox. Did you install a new gasket? RT folks had me to just use only the red hi temp RTV. Was your Bullseye called the Beta model?

I saw this post in FB recteq RT-B380 Bullseye Insiders group. Is anyone having Bullseye startup and attaining temp issues requiring an upgraded control board?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1935523300108137

Here is the post:
For those having difficulty with the Bullseye not starting and attaining temp as they should, the software upgrade control board does seem to be the fix. I did mine yesterday and it is doing just fine today. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Oh, and don't forget the big sale this weekend at RT....looking to see what the deal is on a Bull....
Charles, I can only speak to MY own experience - but I spent ~2 hrs on the phone with the RecTeq "tech" when I tried my initial Bullseye burn-in. Essentially the problem was the "ignitor" would not "kick in" (my words). After getting on the phone with David at RecTeq, I basically disconnected my fire pit box, and the area below the pellet resevoir (11 screws....) Bottom line, whatever I did made the "ignitor" work again, and I've had NO problems since. After that (so far), I've had NO problems.....

Charles, I can only speak to MY own experience - but I spent ~2 hrs on the phone with the RecTeq "tech" when I tried my initial Bullseye burn-in. Essentially the problem was the "ignitor" would not "kick in" (my words). After getting on the phone with David at RecTeq, I basically disconnected my fire pit box, and the area below the pellet resevoir (11 screws....) Bottom line, whatever I did made the "ignitor" work again, and I've had NO problems since. After that (so far), I've had NO problems.....
What do you mean disconnected your fire box? Wonder what you did to fix it. The only issue I had was grease dripping out the bottom of the body coming from under the airbox. No where in the Bullseye manual does it tell you to use a drip pan for long slow fatty meats. I am still pissed off about it. Should be mentioned in the manual for newbies like me that don't know what the hell I am doing. One of the main reasons I got the Bullseye was it didn't have a drip pan to clean out.

What do you mean disconnected your fire box? Wonder what you did to fix it. The only issue I had was grease dripping out the bottom of the body coming from under the airbox. No where in the Bullseye manual does it tell you to use a drip pan for long slow fatty meats. I am still pissed off about it. Should be mentioned in the manual for newbies like me that don't know what the hell I am doing. One of the main reasons I got the Bullseye was it didn't have a drip pan to clean out.
On the Bullseye, there are four 10mm headed screws that secure the fire box to the lower portion of the grill . I removed it (it took a little "jimmying" to get it out, I also had to removed the area immediately below the pellet resevoir to give enough play in the wires that are connected to the ignitor. There are some "difficult" to get to allen bolts that have to be loosened too, that allowed me to push the ignitor to a flush position with the tube that houses it. After that I tightened everthing back up, the tech ran me thru a systems test, everything tested out good, and I've not had a problem since. Hope I didn't jinx myself the day before Thanksgiving........got the BGE on "stand bye"........<grin>

On the Bullseye, there are four 10mm headed screws that secure the fire box to the lower portion of the grill . I removed it (it took a little "jimmying" to get it out, I also had to removed the area immediately below the pellet resevoir to give enough play in the wires that are connected to the ignitor. There are some "difficult" to get to allen bolts that have to be loosened too, that allowed me to push the ignitor to a flush position with the tube that houses it. After that I tightened everthing back up, the tech ran me thru a systems test, everything tested out good, and I've not had a problem since. Hope I didn't jinx myself the day before Thanksgiving........got the BGE on "stand bye"........<grin>
Thanks @Sscottfitz. Wonder why after doing all that you got the ignitor to work! A wire end must of been lose I guess and you tightened it. I had to remove my firebox to inspect the airbox for grease. I was going to do what you did so I could cut the ignitor wire tie to get some more slack, but decided not too. I didn't realize there have been so many Bullseye issues. I better keep my Stampede for a backup.

All I think 11 or 12 phillip head screws come out around the hopper skirt. Don't take out 1 screw next to power cord. 2 screws actually hold controller and everything plugs in.

Recteq is sending me a new controller. Are there instructions as to how to replace the controller?
They have published YouTube videos on replacing the controllers, but as @Chris_G mentions it’s mostly just opening it up with a screwdriver and plugging in the new unit. Everything is color coded, and when it’s not (like on the two PID wires), it doesn’t matter which wire goes to which post. Make sure you have some cable ties, as you need to wrap everything up to keep the wires out of the fans.

The only startup issue I had was probably my fault. I believe I put too many pellets in the fire box before startup. After waiting about 15 minutes the temps never got above 92. The unit then generated an error code. I unplugged it, opened it up and did not see any pellets that were lit and seemed like there was an air gap. With power on I could see the auger pushing the pellets in stacking them up. I removed a few handfuls and rearranged them. Then I plugged back in and watched for the ignition. I could see a spark forming almost immediately. From then on it was a very short time span to 400 for the burn it. The unit held the correct 400 degree temperature for the next hour.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back