Bullseye Bullseye Baby Back Ribs Temp Setting?

charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I am going to try out two slabs of baby back ribs on the Bullseye. What temp setting do you think for the Bullseye? Both slabs seasoned with salt and pepper and one with BBQ sauce towards the end. I want them to cook as fast as possible and don't care about any smoke flavor. I don't mind flipping the slabs as often as needed. Will use bend test for finish time. No wrapping or cooler. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Grocery store didn't have spare ribs so got the baby back. Help someone!!

recteq did a video recently on 1 hour ribs, didn’t pay that much attention to how they did it as fast rib cooking is not of interest to me. Might be worth searching their videos. One thing I’ve experienced on a fast chicken cook on the Bullseye is that it is helpful to have a drip pan or something to protect the meat. It’s pretty easy to burn things on one side when cooking at high temps on the Bullseye.

recteq did a video recently on 1 hour ribs, didn’t pay that much attention to how they did it as fast rib cooking is not of interest to me. Might be worth searching their videos. One thing I’ve experienced on a fast chicken cook on the Bullseye is that it is helpful to have a drip pan or something to protect the meat. It’s pretty easy to burn things on one side when cooking at high temps on the Bullseye.
Thanks @Greg Jones. So you just lay the drip pan on the deflector plate?

Thanks @Greg Jones. So you just lay the drip pan on the deflector plate?
Yes, a 13x9 pan should work fine for two racks of ribs. Put some water in the pan, not to add moisture to the cook but to help even out the temp in the grill. The Bullseye is more of a grill than a slow smoker. Still learning on mine, so that may or may not help at all! 😂

Yes, a 13x9 pan should work fine for two racks of ribs. Put some water in the pan, not to add moisture to the cook but to help even out the temp in the grill. The Bullseye is more of a grill than a slow smoker. Still learning on mine, so that may or may not help at all! 😂
OK, understand that. I am going to set the temp at 300 maybe lower.

How fast will the pan run out of water sitting on the hot deflector plate. Should I keep adding water? I was hoping the rib drippings on the deflector plate would give the ribs a good flavor. Will be using LJ cherry flavor again.

Well at 300* or less, they won’t cook much faster than what many folks do at 275* for 5 or more hours. So perhaps the drip pan isn’t needed? I don’t know, I probably should not be offering advise as I have never cooked ribs on my Bullseye and I don’t cook ribs above 275*.

Well at 300* or less, they won’t cook much faster than what many folks do at 275* for 5 or more hours. So perhaps the drip pan isn’t needed? I don’t know, I probably should not be offering advise as I have never cooked ribs on my Bullseye and I don’t cook ribs above 275*.
OK, thanks. I will just try different things. I use to cook ribs on open charcoal grill on medium heat. Medium heat was when you hold your hand over the grill and can count to to three. I will get the grill at that temp whatever it is. LOL

In the beginning (almost biblical eh?) you said you want to cook fast. Some folks make absolute statements about whatever their favorite way of cooking is as if that's the only way to have success. Experience should teach that there's more than one way to reach a destination (loved Greg's comment above about experimenting). When you're done following boring advice you might want to try this method, and read the last sentence on the page for additional insight. It works too.

I have decided 275 for the temp and going to use a rib rack.

Thanks @ken g. Do you turn them any? When to add sauce? Can you describe the bend test?
I cook them bone side down and never turn them. If sauce is desired, I add once the bend test tells me they are 30-40 minutes from being done. It comes with experience. See photo for bend test info. Go to this link. Read the article. Data is spot on and will make you a better cook and shorten the learning curve.
https://amazingribs.com/technique-and-science/cooking-science/basic-meat-science

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 2.59.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 2.59.14 PM.png
    934.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Cooked ribs at 275. At 3 1/2 hours did a bend test on one of the slabs and it was bending and cracked open. So took them off and out of the rib rack into a pan and sauced them. One with Sweet Baby Ray’s Original and the other with Sweet Baby Ray’s No Sugar Added History. Put them back flat on the grill for 30 minutes. They were outstanding. The best ribs we had in a long time. Wife was impressed. Turned the grill up to riot mode and after she was hotter than hell scraped the grill lightly with my stainless steel bristle free brush. Clean up done. We love the Bullseye. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Attachments

• Cook 29 Aug 2020-1.jpg
    Cook 29 Aug 2020-1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 95
  • Cook 29 Aug 2020-2.jpg
    Cook 29 Aug 2020-2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 100

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back