Buc-ee’s Brisket Rub

Dr.Floyd

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello all,

I will be smoking a brisket tonight, overnight cook which I usually do. My Daughter bought me some Buc-ee’s Brisket Rub. I usually just go with SPG but am thinking of giving it a shot. Has anyone used Buc-ee’s Brisket Rub before? How is the flavor profile? TIA and keep the smoke rolling.

Never tried it myself-when I’m in Buc-ee’s looking for a rub (the only reason I go inside) I head to the Meat Church isle. The first thing I do with any new rub is to wet my little finger and dip it in for a taste. I can then evaluate that compared to what I would normally use for the same protein.

I almost purchased Buc-ee’s when I was in Alabama that last time for a cook. I looked at the ingredients and realized it is mostly salt. That doesn’t disqualify if from consideration but I do my own rubs and control the salt levels as it isn’t really needed at the volume levels present in most store bought rubs. As a tip, when buying rubs, look at the ingredients listing and if salt is the first or second ingredient, you may need to add some of your own favorite herbs and spices to balance it out a little, especially on the meat side of the brisket. On the fat side, it is not as critical since the fat will be rendered and absorb some of the salt content. I just finished “dusting” the first of 2 briskets for this weekend a 20 pound Wagyu for its 30 hour dry rub fridge ride. YMMV.

IMG_1859.jpeg

IMG_1860.jpeg

IMG_1854.jpeg

I have all the different Buc-ee’s rubs and like them all. I have never done a brisket, but the brisket rub is good on other meats. You will probably like it.

I almost purchased Buc-ee’s when I was in Alabama that last time for a cook. I looked at the ingredients and realized it is mostly salt. That doesn’t disqualify if from consideration but I do my own rubs and control the salt levels as it isn’t really needed at the volume levels present in most store bought rubs. As a tip, when buying rubs, look at the ingredients listing and if salt is the first or second ingredient, you may need to add some of your own favorite herbs and spices to balance it out a little, especially on the meat side of the brisket. On the fat side, it is not as critical since the fat will be rendered and absorb some of the salt content. I just finished “dusting” the first of 2 briskets for this weekend a 20 pound Wagyu for its 30 hour dry rub fridge ride. YMMV.

View attachment 21844

View attachment 21845

View attachment 21846
I noticed that as well. Added some extra course ground pepper and garlic granules.

View attachment 21844

View attachment 21845

View attachment 21846
30 hour dry run in the fridge. Sounds good I do 12-16 on my picanha and they gome out great. Going to have to try the longer on a brisket.

30 hour dry run in the fridge. Sounds good I do 12-16 on my picanha and they gome out great. Going to have to try the longer on a brisket.
My 30 hour Wagyu is in the Bull as we speak. I did an almost 30 day dry rubbed Wagyu Brisket once and it came out great. However, I can’t say I gained anything after the first week. When I dry age steaks (different than an extended period for a dry rub), the difference is more noticeable. The important thing is to have a sterile prep area and a way to vacuum out as much air as possible from the protein and seal it well. (You don’t want any stomach goblins entering the meat before you have a chance to cook it.) Make sure you have an industrial strength vacuum unit (or a butcher for a friend with access to one), because it is a challenge to work with Brisket, especially Wagyu, due to the level of fat that doesn’t easily compress in the point.
My scattered cook data is included in this post. You can see every time the chamber was opened for a spritz, rotation, or the point when it was removed for the wrap.

IMG_4D8D93F71D0A-1.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back