Brisket Sauce or Gravy ?

SmokeOCD

Well, There's a 21 pounder (pre trim) on the grill right now. I did a heavy S&P on it before placing it out there last night. The concern is, with such a large brisket, as you get to the middle, away from the bark, there will just be the flavor of meat and fat. Never cooked one this big and yes thinking about it now - injection would have been the way to go. We are WAY past that point, so any favorite sauces/gravies you can share to go with the brisket?

I usually fix an au jus like this:
1 qt of Kitchen Basics Beef Stock
1/4 cup of your rub (I use a commercial brisket rub with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, etc)
2 tablespoons of Dale's Steak Seasoning (sauce)
1-3 dashes of Frank's Red Hot sauce (to taste)
2 strips of raw bacon

Bring it to a boil in a saucepan , then simmer for 10-15 minutes (longer is ok) with the bacon in the pan. Stir often.

Slice the meat and pour it over.

I know it’s way past your brisket cook. For future consideration…

…for lamb…I’ll cook down a combination of a red wine with a raspberry jam and season to taste…usually some rosemary.

…for beef…I’ll cook down some red wine and beef stock (or water with “Better than Bouillon” beef flavor paste) and season to taste. Again, maybe a fresh herb.

…a chimmichurri (sp?) is always interesting. A little goes a long way IMHO.

…a horseradish cream works.

…I’ve got a Cajun cookbook that has a sauce (I forget the name) that mixes equal parts A1 sauce, Heinz 57, ketchup, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. It works as a glaze or dipping sauce. It’s high in sodium/salt so putting a sweet component could be considered…molasses, brown sugar, or a seedless berry jam.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back