Brisket point and flat temp. difference

Hambula

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey guys, I'm currently smoking my first brisket on my RT-700 I'm starting to get a bit worried about the temperature difference between the point and the flat. I'm about 12 hours into the cook and the point is reading at 162 degrees while the flat is riding at 180 ish. Is this a normal temperature difference? I trimmed the brisket pretty well so the flat isn't very thin, I'm just unsure when to pull it out because I don't want one end to be too dry and the other under-cooked. For context, I wrapped the brisket in butcher paper at around 160 and there was only a difference between the two ends by about 3-5 degrees at that point. Maybe I wrapped it incorrectly?

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, it happens because of the differences in the two muscles that make up a full packer brisket. I don't know for sure if the moisture content of the different muscles is different or it's the collagen difference. From some articles I've read it seems some science nerds believe it boils down to moisture (water) content evaporating.

Don't fret. When you get temps near 200F, start poking it through with a thin thermometer probe or skewer to "feel" the resistance going through. You'll feel some places it goes through with very little resistance and some places it feels tight around the probe. When there is a small area in the middle of the flat that has slightly tighter resistance that the more tender areas with nearly no resistance, remove it from the smoker and cover it to hold the heat in, such as with towels or similar in a ice chest or a Cambro insulated food carrier. Let it rest for an hour or two. It will continue to cook that small area that is not quite as tender as the rest of the brisket.

Where is it sitting in the grill? Directly in the center over the fire pot and the right side tend to be the hottest parts in the grill. You may want to either move it to the left side and rotate it so the flat is furthest from the heat. Also if the flat is hanging over the edge of the drip pan it will be receiving a lot more heat than that thats over the pan. Im no expert by any means, but that is something I try to stay mindful of with this grill. All this being said, the flat does have less fat to render than the point so its very possible its just fine. Ill let those with more experience than I have chime in though.

Yes, it happens because of the differences in the two muscles that make up a full packer brisket. I don't know for sure if the moisture content of the different muscles is different or it's the collagen difference. From some articles I've read it seems some science nerds believe it boils down to moisture (water) content evaporating.

Don't fret. When you get temps near 200F, start poking it through with a thin thermometer probe or skewer to "feel" the resistance going through. You'll feel some places it goes through with very little resistance and some places it feels tight around the probe. When there is a small area in the middle of the flat that has slightly tighter resistance that the more tender areas with nearly no resistance, remove it from the smoker and cover it to hold the heat in, such as with towels or similar in a ice chest or a Cambro insulated food carrier. Let it rest for an hour or two. It will continue to cook that small area that is not quite as tender as the rest of the brisket.
Thanks so much for the insight, I'll definitely go off the 'feel' and put it in a cooler when the time seems right. I feel a lot better knowing I didn't royally screw this up hahaha

Where is it sitting in the grill? Directly in the center over the fire pot and the right side tend to be the hottest parts in the grill. You may want to either move it to the left side and rotate it so the flat is furthest from the heat. Also if the flat is hanging over the edge of the drip pan it will be receiving a lot more heat than that thats over the pan. Im no expert by any means, but that is something I try to stay mindful of with this grill. All this being said, the flat does have less fat to render than the point so its very possible its just fine. Ill let those with more experience than I have chime in though.
I just rotated it because the flat was facing towards the back which seems to be hotter. Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back