Blue Mounds, WI-New Stampede Owner

Luscombe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just placed my order for a Stampede. This will join my BGE-Large & BGE-Small on my deck. Have loved the BGE's for 15 years but the Stampede temperature stability and versatility have won me over. I will finally be able to do low and slow without having to babysit the fire and temps. Will also be able to keep the temp stable at 225. Look out brisket, here we come.

The eggs will complement the Stampede and will still be used high temp steaks and different temp cooking when cooking simultaneously with the Stampede.

I read where others have this combination and enjoy it.

This is an awesome forum.
Thank you to all who contribute, I have learned much in a short time here.

We didn't talk about it in particular in your other threads but a fair number of the recent new members to the forum are kamado owners as well. We each seem to have a similar viewpoint; enjoy the kamado, but find them more fiddly than the pellet smoker. My KJ is relegated almost entirely to pizza duty now a days. Welcome aboard.

We didn't talk about it in particular in your other threads but a fair number of the recent new members to the forum are kamado owners as well. We each seem to have a similar viewpoint; enjoy the kamado, but find them more fiddly than the pellet smoker. My KJ is relegated almost entirely to pizza duty now a days. Welcome aboard.

Yeah, I waffled for quite a while between a kamado and pellet grill. In the end, I determined the kamados were more versatile but with a steeper learning curve and a lot more babysitting. The ability for the Rec Tecs to get over 500 degrees and the WiFi monitoring was what pushed me to a Stampede. I'm happy with my choice. With three kids occupying my time the the less fuss the better.

I have not used my propane grill at all since getting my Stampede. It will find a new home next spring if the Stampede handles the cold OK.

From what I have read and heard from my son, the RecTec grills perform incredibly well from stable low temps to 500+. I would say they seem to own the market in that temp range.
I also get that smoke levels can be augmented with other smoke tube accessories and that some think the RecTec smoke is not too much on the higher cooks. Add a smoker tube accessorie and you have the best combination. One coming from Amazon.

My son had also been grilling on BGE's for 10+ years. After he got his Bull and started cooking on it, he gave his Eggs away. Hmmmm..

I have not cooked on the RecTec or any pellet grill so I have no comparison I do know that I have never been able to match the flavor of 700 degree seared steaks off the Eggs. Course they have to be done right.

I will put up a flatiron steak prepped by me and cooked on my BGE against a Ribeye or Porterhouse any day. I have done blind taste tests with family and wowed them with the flatiron steak flavors

So my Eggs will get used. Not sure how much given the convenience and stability of the Stampede. For sure on high temp cooks, steaks, pizza for sure.

I am waiting with anticipation for the Stampede to arrive.

Also currently working on a weight loss program. Really!
When I got my BGE, I
put on 5# the first few months. Not going to repeat that this time.
But I do intend to enjoy the BBQ.

You should try this method on your Stampede and let us know what you think. Best ribeye I've ever cooked, but then again I came from propane, not a kamado.

You should try this method on your Stampede and let us know what you think. Best ribeye I've ever cooked, but then again I came from propane, not a kamado.

I'll give this a shot. When I do Flatirons, I season them up, let them come to room temp, grill at 700, couple minutes a side, pull, tent in foil, wrap in towel and rest for 15 minutes.
Cut across the grain at 45 degree to vertical and they will melt in your mouth.

hey, this is making me hungry

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back