Birthday Dinner

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hi all,
So for a great birthday dinner, I was hoping to make my first ever beef plate ribs. I waited too long and could not get through to my butcher to get the ribs I wanted, so had to look at alternatives. I was in Costco and saw these boneless chuck short ribs and said "close enough". I had cooked some boneless short ribs a few years back, on the pit nekkid with just the rub. They had great flavor from the rub I used, and a nice smoke, but my wife thought they were a little dry.

Tonight, I actually followed a recipe from Ray and Steve on the RT YouTube cooks. It is the RT cook with Dr. Pepper braised boneless short ribs. These short ribs were OUTSTANDING! You can watch the video for more details.

Basically I took the boneless ribs, brushed a little Worcestershire Sauce on them (not part of the RT cook) and then rubbed with Oakridge Santa Maria seasoning. Once the pit got to 225, the SR went on for 2 hours. I also prepared two disposable half tins of onion, carrot, celery, 1/2 stick butter and a bit more rub and placed them on the pit to smoke the veggies a bit. They also stayed on for 2 hours.

After two hours, took the SR and the veggies off the pit. In the tin with the veggies I added a 16 oz bottle of Dr. Pepper to each tin, a package of McKormicks brown gravy and half can of diced tomatoes. Mixed those up a bit then added the SR into the pan. I spooned a little bit of the juice over the ribs, leaving most of the SR to just sit on top of the braise liquid. Then covered tightly with heavy duty tin foil. Back on the pit. I had 5# of SR and six pretty good sized pieces, so I made sure my recipe would cover two separate tins.

While I was preparing the tins with the SR and braising liquids, I raised the cooking temp of the pit 300 The tins then went back on the pit at 300 for 4 hours. After 4 hours the tins were taken off the pit and took the tin foil off. I sliced the SR to order....need a real sharp knife as these came out very tender, and a good knife helps with the cut. Tonight served with Saffron Rice and Roasted Brussels Sprouts with bacon.

Oh my, these were good, and worthy of me cooking them all day for my birthday dinner. They had a very good hint of smoke on the meat, and the Dr Pepper and Trinity braise was just outstanding. I did not put much of the braise liquid on my SR after slicing, but if you did, you would not be disappointed. The result is a grate braise liquid of you asked me. I like mine without the extra liquid, either way will be outstanding. I saved a lot of the braising liquid (after separating the fat) to freeze for future cooks/injections.

Sorry, did not get a picture of the SR after I rubbed them with the Santa Maria and WS. First pic I have from the cook is after the two hour initial smoke. However, after initial rub, they looked very similar to a nice rubbed pork butt, since the Santa Maria has a little more paprika than you would normally find rubbing a large piece of meat, like a brisket. And had to add my birthday drink, Makers Mark, on the rocks with a few splashes of bitters. In today's world could not pass up using a "smiley face" glass.

Short Ribs.jpg
SR after smoke.jpg
SR in braise liqiud.jpg
SR off the pit.jpg
SR plated.jpg
Bourbon on the rocks.jpg

Outstanding! An impressive cook. Seeing this, there is no way I cannot try it myself.
Happy Birthday!

Hi all,
So for a great birthday dinner, I was hoping to make my first ever beef plate ribs. I waited too long and could not get through to my butcher to get the ribs I wanted, so had to look at alternatives. I was in Costco and saw these boneless chuck short ribs and said "close enough". I had cooked some boneless short ribs a few years back, on the pit nekkid with just the rub. They had great flavor from the rub I used, and a nice smoke, but my wife thought they were a little dry.

Tonight, I actually followed a recipe from Ray and Steve on the RT YouTube cooks. It is the RT cook with Dr. Pepper braised boneless short ribs. These short ribs were OUTSTANDING! You can watch the video for more details.

Basically I took the boneless ribs, brushed a little Worcestershire Sauce on them (not part of the RT cook) and then rubbed with Oakridge Santa Maria seasoning. Once the pit got to 225, the SR went on for 2 hours. I also prepared two disposable half tins of onion, carrot, celery, 1/2 stick butter and a bit more rub and placed them on the pit to smoke the veggies a bit. They also stayed on for 2 hours.

After two hours, took the SR and the veggies off the pit. In the tin with the veggies I added a 16 oz bottle of Dr. Pepper to each tin, a package of McKormicks brown gravy and half can of diced tomatoes. Mixed those up a bit then added the SR into the pan. I spooned a little bit of the juice over the ribs, leaving most of the SR to just sit on top of the braise liquid. Then covered tightly with heavy duty tin foil. Back on the pit. I had 5# of SR and six pretty good sized pieces, so I made sure my recipe would cover two separate tins.

While I was preparing the tins with the SR and braising liquids, I raised the cooking temp of the pit 300 The tins then went back on the pit at 300 for 4 hours. After 4 hours the tins were taken off the pit and took the tin foil off. I sliced the SR to order....need a real sharp knife as these came out very tender, and a good knife helps with the cut. Tonight served with Saffron Rice and Roasted Brussels Sprouts with bacon.

Oh my, these were good, and worthy of me cooking them all day for my birthday dinner. They had a very good hint of smoke on the meat, and the Dr Pepper and Trinity braise was just outstanding. I did not put much of the braise liquid on my SR after slicing, but if you did, you would not be disappointed. The result is a grate braise liquid of you asked me. I like mine without the extra liquid, either way will be outstanding. I saved a lot of the braising liquid (after separating the fat) to freeze for future cooks/injections.

Sorry, did not get a picture of the SR after I rubbed them with the Santa Maria and WS. First pic I have from the cook is after the two hour initial smoke. However, after initial rub, they looked very similar to a nice rubbed pork butt, since the Santa Maria has a little more paprika than you would normally find rubbing a large piece of meat, like a brisket. And had to add my birthday drink, Makers Mark, on the rocks with a few splashes of bitters. In today's world could not pass up using a "smiley face" glass.

View attachment 2998View attachment 2999View attachment 3000View attachment 3001View attachment 3002View attachment 3003
Happy Birthday. Great looking food. Great detailed recipe. Any time I want a 123a plate, I have to order. Mine is coming in today. Those beef ribs are my favorite as is Dr Pepper. I’m going to try your recipe. Noting ends a good BD like Makers Mark unless it a glass of Pappy VanWinkle. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WiFiGuru
Back