Stampede Best way to store meats in the freezer

nealp

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
What’s the best way to freeze extra meats? Anyone using vacuum sealed system or any special bags to prevent freezer burns. Thanks

i use my vac sealer all the time. mine uses 12in wide bags. when it finally dies my next unit will be capable of using the 15in wide bags. they work great. im an avid big game hunter and have alot of vac sealed meat and fish.

We normally buy a bunch of meat and then break it down into more serving size batches. A lot of time 2 - 4 pieces. We will season it, vac seal it and put it in the fridge for a day or two. Then we freeze. We found that seasoning and then going to the fridge for a day or two really allows the seasoning to get pulled into the meat. This is compared to seasoning and going straight to the freezer.

I should comment that a lot of time, mainly with beef we are doing sous vide were sometimes we immerse when still frozen and cook in that and then just sear. We are new to the RT so we will see how things change. I do have a few things that we bought over the winter but that is 10 Boston Butts, a Turkey and a Prime Rib. Of course with these it isn't as easy to split up. So they are all in the freezer separate and were already sealed up. They are all destined for the RT-700 though.

I do want to try a few steaks on the RT but will probably just pick up some fresh meat for that we will see if we move away from the sous vide for them.

All my beef comes directly from the butcher and it comes to me pre-wrapped in plastic wrap and butcher paper.

We normally buy a bunch of meat and then break it down into more serving size batches. A lot of time 2 - 4 pieces. We will season it, vac seal it and put it in the fridge for a day or two. Then we freeze. We found that seasoning and then going to the fridge for a day or two really allows the seasoning to get pulled into the meat. This is compared to seasoning and going straight to the freezer.

I should comment that a lot of time, mainly with beef we are doing sous vide were sometimes we immerse when still frozen and cook in that and then just sear. We are new to the RT so we will see how things change. I do have a few things that we bought over the winter but that is 10 Boston Butts, a Turkey and a Prime Rib. Of course with these it isn't as easy to split up. So they are all in the freezer separate and were already sealed up. They are all destined for the RT-700 though.

I do want to try a few steaks on the RT but will probably just pick up some fresh meat for that we will see if we move away from the sous vide for them.
Great advice. Thanks

I finally picked up a magic chef 5cf chest freezer last year. Will be looking to get a vacuum sealer one of these days.

This is not typical, but it works for me. I put raw meat, already portioned, into ziplock bags, cover the meat with water, squeeze out the air and then put it in the freezer. The water will slowly evaporate rather than the moisture in the meat, so less freezer burn. I don’t have a vacuum sealer.

Vacuum seal is the best. Only two of us, so I'm using it all the time to freeze leftovers for a rainy day. I store in portions. Had smoked turkey, mashed potatoes and veggies last night. No cooking!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back