Best methods for cleaning/maintenance

egraf

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I've had my 590 for a couple weeks now, and it's gotten to the point where a bit of cleaning is due. I know the more basic stuff such as using a shop vac to clean out the fire pot and ash around there, but I read something on the manual about not using certain cleaning products on this type of grill.

I have a Traeger cleaning solution that I used on my last grill that worked pretty well. I would spray the inside and outside of the grill and just wipe it down with paper towels. Would this work for recteq grills too?

Looking for suggestions on cleaning products and methods used to make sure I can keep this grill in great shape.

I have a Traeger cleaning solution that I used on my last grill that worked pretty well. I would spray the inside and outside of the grill and just wipe it down with paper towels. Would this work for recteq grills too?
I use that product on my 340...works well.
Always have it's grease tray covered with HD foil

I use a plastic scraper on the inside to remove loose stuff. You don’t want to clean off the seasoning. The Traeger cleaner works fine on the outside and the grates.

And to follow up for grates, do you use a wire brush? My previous grill had porcelain coated grates which meant no wire brush, only nylon brush or the wood paddle thing

I use a wire brush, sometimes a scraper, and when it's to bad for those i toss the rack on the gas grill and crank it up.

On the outside I have used ZEP on the stainless steel. Works great!
The inside cleans itself if you crank it high enough. Most everything will flake off and you can just vac it up.

There is a good buildup of ash through the holes in the pot, I don't think it's worth doing unless your igniter goes bad. Just thought I'd mention it though.

And to follow up for grates, do you use a wire brush? My previous grill had porcelain coated grates which meant no wire brush, only nylon brush or the wood paddle thing
I do not use a brush anymore; I use a stainless scrubber pad and it works great, a lot better than a brush. I get them at the grocery store or Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Stainless-Steel-Scourers-Scrub/dp/B08J4JQP5D/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=11OKTHEIAP6OH&keywords=scotch+brite+stainless+steel+scrubbing+pads&qid=1666294344&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjE0IiwicXNhIjoiMi4yMyIsInFzcCI6IjIuMjMifQ==&sprefix=stainless+steel+scrubing+pa,aps,106&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Is that one scrubbie per smoke, or can you reuse them?
I've balled up aluminum foil in a pinch, if you have HD foil it works well. If you have paper thin foil it will shred and leave bits all over your grates.

I too use the stainless pot scrubber like PRC. When it gets loaded up with grease I soak it overnite in Totally Awesome and rinse it out with hot tap water. When I clean the rest of the grill I scrub the bottom of the grate with it.

I will be honest, at first I cleaned mine, but now the smoke and stains are a badge of honer. So I do clean the grates after every cook and I do use foil on my drip plate deflector thingy. I watch the firepot, but honestly I just cleaned my 590 after maybe 18 months. I use the 590 2-3 times a month and It just runs well. I just cooked a 9 pound butt and it was fantastic. Held temp flawlessly.

I do want to welcome you and let you know IT IS OK, not to be OCD with cleaning your grill. It is your fun and happy meat place, unless you are OCD and it keeps you up, then by all means.....

I read in another post that if you vacuum the inside you run the risk of getting a pretty good shock. Is this true? Did I miss something maybe?

I read in another post that if you vacuum the inside you run the risk of getting a pretty good shock. Is this true? Did I miss something maybe?
A static electricity shock is possible, but I have never experienced it and use a buckethead vacuum regularly to remove ash.

The hose and attachment is plastic, not sure how anyone is getting any kind of shock?
Not always. I use a chimney-safe vac made for hot ash that has an aluminum nozzle, an aluminum lined hose, and an aluminum tank for the ash. However, I‘ve never been shocked when using it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back