Anti Bacterial Wipes and Soaps

SmokeOCD

Just this past week, we got a refund on a faucet. Sent in pictures of the damaged finish and they refunded it fully, but also said they think the damage was due to using anti-bacterial soaps/cleansers/wipes on the faucet. Now this thing is a little over 6 months old - whereas the faucet it replaced was a 30 year old Moen - original to the house. What's this got to do with BBQ? Nothing! But I noticed my slicer (Beswood) is starting to pit. I wonder if I am ruining it in an attempt to be extra sanitary. Yes, I use the wipes on it as well - so I am wondering if that could be the cause? Or is aluminum just going to pit no matter what over the years?
So - there's the tie in to smoking. I was cutting up some charcuterie - while it was out I sliced up some eye of round for jerky, took it all apart and started wondering about my cleaning methods. Got it in 2020, so not that old...

https://www.amazon.com/Star-San-B0064O7YFA-San-32/dp/B0064O7YFA?th=1

I use Star San to clean my meat grinder and sausage stuffer. It's commonly used in the home brewing industry and is "no-rinse". But, it's not as convenient as wipes, as it has to be mixed/diluted with water.

As I recall, it's phosphoric acid, so I don't know how it will treat various finishes. Everything that I clean/sanitize with it is either stainless or plastic.

Just something to consider/be aware of.....You'll probably have to source it from a local home brewing supply house. Amazon can't carry it on their airplanes (being an acid).

I remember star San well. I used to brew. I’ve tried them all, even iodine. Love the foam, as long as the foam touches the surface, it’s disinfected.
I use the wipes on the cultured island, contrary to Jim’s article. Maybe the wipes have dulled it, or 18 years of being the focal point for meals and gatherings, it’s just really well used.

New thing to share, that dawn power wash will leave spots on your slicer. It’s just too strong I guess.

I remember star San well. I used to brew. I’ve tried them all, even iodine. Love the foam, as long as the foam touches the surface, it’s disinfected.
I use the wipes on the cultured island, contrary to Jim’s article. Maybe the wipes have dulled it, or 18 years of being the focal point for meals and gatherings, it’s just really well used.

New thing to share, that dawn power wash will leave spots on your slicer. It’s just too strong I guess.
Good to know about Dawn. I’m a big fan, but haven’t ever used the power wash version. Unless it pits or otherwise damages blades, I guess I don’t care about spots.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-San-B0064O7YFA-San-32/dp/B0064O7YFA?th=1

I use Star San to clean my meat grinder and sausage stuffer. It's commonly used in the home brewing industry and is "no-rinse". But, it's not as convenient as wipes, as it has to be mixed/diluted with water.

As I recall, it's phosphoric acid, so I don't know how it will treat various finishes. Everything that I clean/sanitize with it is either stainless or plastic.

Just something to consider/be aware of.....You'll probably have to source it from a local home brewing supply house. Amazon can't carry it on their airplanes (being an acid).
I have bottles of Star San from being home brewing and a spray bottle for cleanup for my equipment both the grill table and my slicer great stuff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back