Am I in the minority?

BretM

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So, today was the fourth time I've done a brisket on my RT-700...15lbs before trimming. Turned out okay, but like all briskets I've done on pellet poopers, it was a tad on the dry side and left me wanting more. I've also come to the conclusion that brisket flat is extremely overrated...point burnt ends are great... and I prefer smoked chuck roasts for pulled beef and smoked beef ribs to briskets. To me, they just taste beefier.

Am I in the minority?

IDK... are you wrapping at the stall in butcher paper?

Yes. I go 225 until an internal of 160, then wrap and go to an internal of 202. I can get a moist brisket on my stick burner, but overall I'm just saying I think the brisket is an overrated cut. Don't get me wrong it's good, and the one I did today was not bad by any means...for me though, I prefer a clod, shredded chuck roast, or beef ribs.

Everyone has their preference of course, but I totally agree, BretM. I've cooked halfway decent briskets on 3 different types of smokers including my RT, but never perfected them to the point where I feel it's definitely worth all the time & effort. Beef chuck roasts have more fat (basically like pork butt) so they are more forgiving on moisture, and you can cook them either to ~180 deg. to slice just like brisket or take them to ~195-200 to shred. And I just had beef back ribs this week!

I've been well pleased with my recent briskets. May be blasphemy, but I wrap in foil at 160 and add a bottle of dark beer for the rest of the cook. Pull at 200F. Rest for several hours in the foil with the beer still in it. Moistness is not an issue for me.

I've been well pleased with my recent briskets. May be blasphemy, but I wrap in foil at 160 and add a bottle of dark beer for the rest of the cook. Pull at 200F. Rest for several hours in the foil with the beer still in it. Moistness is not an issue for me.
In you, or in the brisket? 😂

Another "you're not alone" vote/comment........................and I live in Central Texas, the Mecca for traditional brisket. Getting a moist outcome isn't usually an issue as long as it starts with a well marbled hunk o' protein. I have thought that our indifference to it was having to deal with so much finished product when it's done, but even if we go to one of the local bbq joints renowned for it's Brisket I'll more often order something else. On the other hand I love pastrami, and at times corned beef...........better uses for a brisket in my book. Such is life.

Hands down the best beef BBQ I've ever had was a whole shoulder clod smoked for 24 hours...good luck finding then though

I feel this way. if I want tender moist beef I will make a meatloaf or a hamburger.

When traveling we will always dine at a few smoke house/ BBQ joints and I will always have their brisket. i will always ask the server if it is any good and they will say anything from grantistic to the best etc. None are melt in your mouth or very moist. The only moisture is from the varieties of BBQ sauces that are always in abundance on the tables.

🎱Ed

On finding the "shoulder clod" another possible source is Sam's Club if you have them in your area. They have a number of cryovac packed products that aren't always in the case, but if you ask the staff they can get it "from the back".

Everybody does it differently. Here’s how I do mine. Super juicy and a firm crust. Salt pepper garlic rub. Bull at 180/Lo. Put a water pan in smoker. Like 4-6 cups water in a little pot on left side. For an 18.5 pounder, smoke it overnight about 10 hours. Then crank up to 250. Spritz w 50/50 apple cider vinegar and apple juice every hour or so. When it is past the stall, so about 170 AND the bark is set, wrap in paper, continue at 250 to 203 degrees in the point. Takes me about 21 hours total for that size. Place paper wrapped brisket in towel lined cooler for 2 hours. Slice and enjoy.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    13.6 MB
Last edited:
Everybody does it differently. Here’s how I do mine. Super juicy and a firm crust. Salt pepper garlic rub. Bull at 180/Lo. Put a water pan in smoker. Like 4-6 cups water in a little pot on left side. For an 18.5 pounder, smoke it overnight about 10 hours. Then crank up to 250. When it is past the stall, so about 170 AND the bark is set, wrap in paper, continue at 250 to 203 degrees in the point, place paper wrapped brisket in towel lined cooler for 2 hours. Slice and enjoy.
Looks like the vid won’t show. Here’s some pics.

Attachments

• 72FA6EB9-B565-4C90-A36D-C14ECB1A5031.jpeg
    72FA6EB9-B565-4C90-A36D-C14ECB1A5031.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 71
  • A0BEB089-D691-4F24-A700-3E61F457721A.jpeg
    A0BEB089-D691-4F24-A700-3E61F457721A.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 79
  • 75626A23-B338-4F2D-8274-D98D57827836.jpeg
    75626A23-B338-4F2D-8274-D98D57827836.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 73

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back