All Nighter

You are a rock star!
Looks great. Pictures of finished product. Wife wants to know how many you are expecting?

You are a rock star!
Looks great. Pictures of finished product. Wife wants to know how many you are expecting?

8 were for the party. #9 we kept for Sunday. Had some friends over and made a double batch of queso for pulled pork nachos.

They were expecting close to 100 people for the party. The butts were all 8-9 pounds pre-cooked. I actually weighed them all after cooking and they checked in at 5-5-1/2 pound. So a little over 40 pounds of actual meat. I told the party's host that was a little excessive, but she didn't want to run out. And she didn't. Only had about 70 people show up. Lots of leftovers, but it freezes fine. Not sure what she did with the leftover Jell-o shots. She made 400 of those. :oops:

Anyways, I wanted them done around 9-10AM. 8 out of 9 were right on schedule and came off at 9:30.

Not a pretty pic. I cook them fat side down and put them in a pan fat side up to rest. They always stick a little to the "non-stick" grill mats. Rub was Meat Church Holy Gospel. I spritzed occasionally with a mix of apple cider vinegar, bourbon, and Worcestershire sauce.

v29g59Kl.jpg

But there's always gotta be one stubborn one that lags behind. In this case, it was actually one of the smallest ones. It took an extra 1-1/2 hours to probe tender...

jQ5iIXIl.jpg

That cross hatched piece on top was some fat and bark that pulled off one of the others. I figured it could hurt to throw it on top to finish.

All of them went in foil pans, got covered in a double layer of foil, wrapped in a bath towel, and put in coolers. Hauled them to the party and pulled them at 2PM. All were still to hot to handle bare handed.

I saw this on Amazon the other day and bough it on a whim...

51C3BHjJ60L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Chucked it up in my M18 Milwaukee drill and threw butts 2 at a time into a 5 gallon bucket and let them have it. The thing works like a champ. You have to be careful not to overdo it, unless you prefer your pork more shredded than pulled. I will still do 1 or 2 by hand, but for a large amount, it's great. Like 10 minutes to do all 8 of them.

I always joke that I can cook pork butts in my sleep, which I quite literally do. I was a little nervous about using the neighbor's 590. I know what to expect from my Bull, I have just never cooked on a 590 like that. But two grills matched set temp and probe temps throughout the whole cook. I didn't expect set temps to vary, I mean, they're RecTeqs, they NEVER do. But the probe readings never varied more than 5 degrees.

That middle piece had more marbling. It looks like it was a lefty.
The lore around the bbq world is that most cows get up off the ground with their right front leg. That makes for more a tougher muscle with more connective tissue.

More connective tissue renders slower and causes more of a stall. That's my story and I'm sssstickin to it. :rolleyes:
There was a BBQ place near(in?) Naples, FL long ago - mid 90's -that used the same schtick for their ribs saying they only used the ribs from the left side of the pig because pigs only sleep on their right side. Hogwash indeed. Pun very much intended.
I do remember their ribs being really good, but that was while I was still in college, and any good meal was a luxury...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddegreve
Back