A Light Bulb Went Off After One Week's Use

bfletcher

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
In my humble opinion RT's manuals leave a little to be desired, at least in the case of my Bull. While using it today, I thought my interior bulb burned out. Then, after finishing the cook, I discovered I apparently bumped the red rocker switch, unknowingly. That's when I learned that red switch is the light switch and I thought it was a master power switch all this time, lol.

And maybe I'm the only one but I wish like heck the auger wouldn't dump pellets into the hopper after the fan completes its cycle after shutdown. It seems counter-intuitive for the fan to run for the express purpose of consuming the existing pellets only for another dump afterwards.

Last edited:
Well, I can tell you I had no confusion on the red switch being for the light...lol.(had to say it)
.AND My 700 does send pellets to the burner in shutdown sequence..maybe double check that it isn't working properly.

And maybe I'm the only one but I wish like heck the auger wouldn't dump pellets into the hopper after the fan completes its cycle after shutdown. It seems counter-intuitive for the fan to run for the express purpose of consuming the existing pellets only for another dump afterwards.

Yes that annoys me as well. If you have been grilling at high temps, those new pellets will ignite. And if you clean out the burn pot they are in the way. I can't figure out why they do it that way instead of at startup.

Effectively for safety the fire has to be put out (the burn off). Then the unit will preload the fire pot so it can more quickly ignite the next time you want to use it. I supposed the code could be written to first feed then ignite but for whatever reason they find it better to prefeed before use.

If you are intending to clean out the burn pot and you don't want fresh pellets going to waste when you vacuum out the pot, just unplug the grill when you shutdown. I'd make sure the fire was out and cold before vacuuming. My friend lit his vacuum on fire recently.

...and that light...sheesh. I've cooked on my RT-700 for maybe 12 hours total and it's getting pretty dark brown. Why'd they bother? A light on the outside of the lid that points down at the grill when you open it would be nice. I had a clamp on type light on the handle of my komado that was perfect. I'm likely to find a similar solution for the RT.

I'm not concerned with the waste of a few pellets but over the coarse of using the Bull a few times thus far it's my opinion that the fresh pellet dump into the hopper results in them starting to smolder, so in my feeble mind I view it as a safety concern (at least for my habit and method of how I close-down a smoker after a cook). I don't mean to be worked-up over it, and I'll deal with it, lol; the manufacturer is the expert. I appreciate your collective input.

@bfletcher ..are you leaving the lid open during shutdown?...I do, it helps to cool it faster. But if I remember correctly the fan should run for like 5mins. to burn off all the pellets in the pot before running the auger to reload it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back