Bull 700 Tune Up

Waterboy

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
I’ve owned my 700 for 2 years now and have really enjoyed producing some really good food from it. I’ve also learned a lot about pellet grills from being on this forum and seeing some of the adjustments and mods folks have done to their grills. A couple of things that have been on my radar the last few months are how long it was taking my grill to fire up and then how long to get to higher temps when I do that type of cook.

This week I upgraded to the full 2 rpm auger motor (Link Here) some on the forum have used and also adjusted my igniter rod as others have done. Those two things have significantly improved the performance of my grill.

I bought a 3rpm BFG (and now 1250) auger motor when you still could but I held off installing it to see other’s results. I’m in Central California and we are mid to upper 90s all summer long with 20 or more over 100 so I was concerned about low temp cooks. Once I saw the success and improvement others were getting from the 2 rpm motor I decided that would be best for my situation.

The next thing I did while I had everything opened up was check my igniter rod. It was recessed a little less than 1/8” (first photo). I watched a RecTeq video on replacing the igniter and saw they recommended alining the back of the igniter flush with the back of the fire pot (second phot shows how far mine protruded from the back). I adjusted the Igniter rod to line up at the back it now protrudes out the front approximately 1/6” (last photo).

BF40DA7C-853B-422E-8B84-A73A961B26C4.jpeg
806E96C4-6237-420D-A077-0FAAD150219A.jpeg
CB16C1F0-37D5-41DF-8620-C5BF2336E487.jpeg

The results of these two adjustments has cut the ignition time in half (approx. 4 minutes to under 2 minutes) and even greater results in getting up to temp. I get to 200 in about 5 minutes and to 500 in about 18 minutes vs. 10 and 45 minutes respectively. I’ve found the temps to be just as steady as before, we’ll see once the hot weather gets here.

Like I said I have enjoyed this grill from day one but these improvements take it to a new level. Thanks to everyone who posts what they are doing so folks like me can get better performance out of our grills, and thanks @Mike for keeping such a valuable resource available to us.

That auger motor is no longer available on Amazon. Are there any alternative motors that are the same under a different brand?

@Nathan just do a search on “pellet smoker motor” in Amazon. There are several under &30.

I just did the 3 rpm upgrade, got one from smoke daddy and the unite fan hits the back cover so I will have to modify that a bit. Need to do the igniter repositioning yet. I will update if I have any issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back