1100 or 1250?

Donkeyshaunjr

Hello!

I've owned an original run Grilla Silverbac for about 6 years now. It's been pretty great minus one blow up (totally my fault). I've replaced just about every part at this point but I'm still plagued by flameouts.

Last night was the last straw I'm in NJ it was miserable out and I just wanted to finish the chicken for my meal prep for the week, but no I had to do my walk of shame over to the oven to finish it off and I'm once again staring at this afternoon having to clean out yet again. I'm kind of done.

I have a friend who has a 1070 and absolutely loves it so I'm now interested in trying a RecTeq. I'm kind of between the 1100 or the 1250 and I have a few questions

Is the primary difference between the two the shelf and the cooking space?
Are there quick releases for the hopper and or barrel for cleaning (my Grilla does not which is OK but kind of a pain if I ever want to swap pellets).

Thanks for any advice!

So basically, you are correct. The 1100 is the replacement of the 700. I had the 700 and have the 1250. The 1250 came with little extras that the 700 didnt have; power outlet, cast iron deflector, tie down straps. The 1100 now has all of this so the difference between the 1100 and 1250 comes down to what you pointed out; slightly different cooker shape, front table, different legs/casters and a "full top shelf" for the 1250 vs a smaller one one for the 1100.

I love my 1250 table and the 1250 table is much better than the 700 flat folding shelf that I had and had to buy separately. I dont think there is a comparable 1100 table out but my assumption is when they do, it will be like the 700 table which wasn't as nice as the 1250 table.

The full top shelf on the 1250 has its +/-. It's very nice for when I want to cook a smaller brisket. I have found putting it on the shelf away from the direct heat, works great. Downside is the full top shelf can and will burn your hand when cooking and messing with bottom shelf food, so wear a glove. The 1100 has the smaller shelf which is nice for accessibility, but it is smaller.

In the end, it comes down to the table in my mind. $200 for the table, basically. The table for the 700 is $100. So I guess it comes down to how much want a table and do you "need" a full second shelf. My second shelf hangs on the back of the grill 99% of the time.

I did end up putting the comp cart on my 1250 and love the comp cart, would not have changed a thing with the comp card addition. So IF you want the comp cart, you have to go 1250.

Neither grill has a quick ash/pellet dump

I would get the 1100 if I were buying today. I’d prefer a full upper shelf but would work on getting one later (1250 shelf from recteq or aftermarket). The biggest advantage of the 1100 in my opinion is that the oval barrel design gives you more headroom on the second shelf. I’ve seen folks complain about proteins not fitting on the upper shelf of the 1250. I prefer to cook on a rack farther from the burn pot than the main rack. YMMV.

I don’t have a 1250 to compare to, but my understanding is the angle of the drip shield is greater on the 1100 making grease easier to get into the drain cup. I am well pleased with the 1100.

@Donkeyshaunjr welcome to the forum!

I have a 1250 and like it. It's performed well for me. That being said, space wise, the main grate of the 1100 and 1250 are almost identical (34×19.25 vs 33x19). The difference is the partial shelf of the 1100 or the bigger shelf on the 1250. I use the second shelf on my 1250 a lot, but I put it on top of foil pans to catch grease. Makes clean up a lot easier. I very rarely use it in the slot that is meant to go in. There just isn't enough head room for bigger proteins (it does work well for ribs though!) That alone would make me lean towards the 1100 with its taller barrel. More head room in pellet grills is a plus. The only detractor for me is the front shelf. I can't imagine not having it, but I bet recteq will eventually come out with one for the 1100. And I bet they come out with a full second shelf too. So knowing what I know now, I'd probably go with the 1100. Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever one you choose!

Parrot

PS - the pass through outlet on the 1250 is useful. I've used it several times when I've forgot to charge my thermoworks signals and it's died mid cook... not sure if the 1100 has one.

@Donkeyshaunjr welcome to the forum!

I have a 1250 and like it. It's performed well for me. That being said, space wise, the main grate of the 1100 and 1250 are almost identical (34×19.25 vs 33x19). The difference is the partial shelf of the 1100 or the bigger shelf on the 1250. I use the second shelf on my 1250 a lot, but I put it on top of foil pans to catch grease. Makes clean up a lot easier. I very rarely use it in the slot that is meant to go in. There just isn't enough head room for bigger proteins (it does work well for ribs though!) That alone would make me lean towards the 1100 with its taller barrel. More head room in pellet grills is a plus. The only detractor for me is the front shelf. I can't imagine not having it, but I bet recteq will eventually come out with one for the 1100. And I bet they come out with a full second shelf too. So knowing what I know now, I'd probably go with the 1100. Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever one you choose!

Parrot

PS - the pass through outlet on the 1250 is useful. I've used it several times when I've forgot to charge my thermoworks signals and it's died mid cook... not sure if the 1100 has one.

1100 has the outlet too. I daisy chain my Traeger griddle off my 1250. Works great, Traeger load is essentially nothing, just for the igniter and tank level indicator.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back