Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
As a little background info, my home is built into a hillside, so the front of the house is a ground level and the back of the house has a walk-out door from my basement wood shop to a patio area partially covered by a deck. The deck is just outside my kitchen and that’s where the Bullseye, the Matador, and my wife’s RT-340 reside. This truly is an extension of my kitchen, and I cook on one or more of these grills nearly every day.I have no need for any prep area or special space with these grills.

However, the lower patio area is a different story. That’s where the Bull, the Wyldside, the BGE, and the Blackstone are located (no, I don’t have a grill problem!). I wear myself out going up and down the stairs hauling tools, spices, etc. from the kitchen and I needed something to make it work better for me.

That’s why I was really intrigued by the pictures @ARCbbq posted of his grill prep cart, and I know @Uncle Bob was interested in this as well, so here is what I came up with. The cart is from Harbor Freight, a Yukon 46” mobile workbench. It sells for around $290, and I was able to get a 10% discount off the one I bought at my local HF. Note that these are not stocked at all HF stores, but you can order them there for shipment to the store, avoiding the freight charges of having one shipped to your home.

When I went to assemble the cart, I had planned on using some pneumatic tires to replace the casters as ARCbbq had replaced his stock casters. I thought the quality of the stock casters looked fine, so that’s what I went with. I believe the overall quality of the box is quite good-the top is hardwood rather than laminate over pressboard, and the drawer has ball bearing slides. Now I’m not to try and convince you this is Kennedy tool box quality, it isn’t. But then I never bought a Kennedy chest for anywhere near under $300 either!

Here’s how I have outfitted the cart for starters, and I expect that what I store and how I store it will evolve over time. I’m a woodworker, and the cutting board is one I made and have used in my kitchen for 5-6 years now. I’ve made a new board for the kitchen, so this one goes to grill duty. The paper towel holder is magnetic, and can be quickly moved inside the cabinet when covered. There are magnetic hooks added under the handle to store commonly used tools, and the handle shields them from getting knocked around when using the cover.

Another thing about the handle, originally I planned on making a bracket for the other end to use with my 24” butcher paper. As it turns out, the roll of paper rests perfectly on the handle and the bench when I want to pull off a sheet, so no dedicated bracket is needed.

Inside the drawer I have my thermometers, SpitJack injector, spit tools, gloves, towels, etc. The drawer came with a rubber mat, which is a nice touch. When the picture was taken, I had a couple of knives in there but if this cart is staying outside, I’m not comfortable leaving knives in there for theft reasons. I’m using a knife roll now to keep the knives safe in the house.

Speaking of theft, all the doors and the drawer lock, but I would advise not locking them unless you need to do so to keep children out. A thief will destroy a locked box to get at cooking tools that they have no need for, so better to protect the box than to protect tools they will likely not steal.

Inside the doors, the cabinet came with 4 adjustable door racks and 4 adjustable shelves. I bought some 3’ wide carpet runner and cut to fit to use as shelf liners, which worked well and didn’t cost much. By the way, these runners work well for use as a mat under the grills-much cheaper than buying dedicated mats that often curl and don’t work nearly as well.

Unfortunately, the door opening is just slightly narrower than my longest sheet and hotel pans, so I have to tip them to fit, which means I don’t have enough height to use two shelves on the right side. If this cart had been only 3-4” longer, it would be perfect.

I bought the cover from Amazon, it is made for the larger Keter grill cart that some are using here-they are exactly the same size. My only concern is that the cover may allow some dampness to soak through to the wood top, so we will see how that goes. I use a commercial kitchen bus tub to season in, carry supplies to/from the kitchen, and right now I keep it on top of the wood top to cause the cover to tent, allowing rain to run off more easily. We’ll see how it works, but I may have to use a spray water treatment product on the cover.

I’m sure I’ve overlooked mentioning something, and I haven’t used it enough to get a good feel for how it works, but so far I think it is going to be a nice addition to the outdoor kitchen.

Attachments

• 293E9373-F030-46EF-835D-AB5922AA57BD.jpeg
    293E9373-F030-46EF-835D-AB5922AA57BD.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 754
  • 292DF22D-07CC-485B-B5B9-1DE72C6D5568.jpeg
    292DF22D-07CC-485B-B5B9-1DE72C6D5568.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 318
  • 074B2D2F-F6AE-4FF0-B8A4-9E48C73356C5.jpeg
    074B2D2F-F6AE-4FF0-B8A4-9E48C73356C5.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 327
  • BF2F24B5-52AB-45EE-890A-11B637ACAE36.jpeg
    BF2F24B5-52AB-45EE-890A-11B637ACAE36.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 329
  • C1ABD377-67A0-4219-A2B2-F34716E63D2C.jpeg
    C1ABD377-67A0-4219-A2B2-F34716E63D2C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 336
Last edited:
As a little background info, my home is built into a hillside, so the front of the house is a ground level and the back of the house has a walk-out door from my basement wood shop to a patio area partially covered by a deck. The deck is just outside my kitchen and that’s where the Bullseye, the Matador, and my wife’s RT-340 reside. This truly is an extension of my kitchen, and I cook on one or more of these grills nearly every day.I have no need for any prep area or special space with these grills.

However, the lower patio area is a different story. That’s where the Bull, the Wyldside, the BGE, and the Blackstone are located (no, I don’t have a grill problem!). I wear myself out going up and down the stairs hauling tools, spices, etc. from the kitchen and I needed something to make it work better for me.

That’s why I was really intrigued by the pictures @ARCbbq posted of his grill prep cart, and I know @Uncle Bob was interested in this as well, so here is what I came up with. The cart is from Harbor Freight, a Yukon 46” mobile workbench. It sells for around $290, and I was able to get a 10% discount off the one I bought at my local HF. Note that these are not stocked at all HF stores, but you can order them there for shipment to the store, avoiding the freight charges of having one shipped to your home.

When I went to assemble the cart, I had planned on using some pneumatic tires to replace the casters as xxx had replaced his stock casters. I thought the quality of the stock casters looked fine, so that’s what I went with. I believe the overall quality of the box is quite good-the top is hardwood rather than laminate over pressboard, and the drawer has ball bearing slides. Now I’m not to try and convince you this is Kennedy tool box quality, it isn’t. But then I never bought a Kennedy chest for anywhere near under $300 either!

Here’s how I have outfitted the cart for starters, and I expect that what I store and how I store it will evolve over time. I’m a woodworker, and the cutting board is one I made and have used in my kitchen for 5-6 years now. I’ve made a new board for the kitchen, so this one goes to grill duty. The paper towel holder is magnetic, and can be quickly moved inside the cabinet when covered. There are magnetic hooks added under the handle to store commonly used tools, and the handle shields them from getting knocked around when using the cover.

Another thing about the handle, originally I planned on making a bracket for the other end to use with my 24” butcher paper. As it turns out, the roll of paper rests perfectly on the handle and the bench when I want to pull off a sheet, so no dedicated bracket is needed.

Inside the drawer I have my thermometers, SpitJack injector, spit tools, gloves, towels, etc. The drawer came with a rubber mat, which is a nice touch. When the picture was taken, I had a couple of knives in there but if this cart is staying outside, I’m not comfortable leaving knives in there for theft reasons. I’m using a knife roll now to keep the knives safe in the house.

Speaking of theft, all the doors and the drawer lock, but I would advise not locking them unless you need to do so to keep children out. A thief will destroy a locked box to get at cooking tools that they have no need for, so better to protect the box than to protect tools they will likely not steal.

Inside the doors, the cabinet came with 4 adjustable door racks and 4 adjustable shelves. I bought some 3’ wide carpet runner and cut to fit to use as shelf liners, which worked well and didn’t cost much. By the way, these runners work well for use as a mat under the grills-much cheaper than buying dedicated mats that often curl and don’t work nearly as well.

Unfortunately, the door opening is just slightly narrower than my longest sheet and hotel pans, so I have to tip them to fit, which means I don’t have enough height to use two shelves on the right side. If this cart had been only 3-4” longer, it would be perfect.

I bought the cover from Amazon, it is made for the larger Keter grill cart that some are using here-they are exactly the same size. My only concern is that the cover may allow some dampness to soak through to the wood top, so we will see how that goes. I use a commercial kitchen bus tub to season in, carry supplies to/from the kitchen, and right now I keep it on top of the wood top to cause the cover to tent, allowing rain to run off more easily. We’ll see how it works, but I may have to use a spray water treatment product on the cover.

I’m sure I’ve overlooked mentioning something, and I haven’t used it enough to get a good feel for how it works, but so far I think it is going to be a nice addition to the outdoor kitchen.
Nice job Greg

What's the odds of this... I was actually planning on going to harbor freight today to pick up a case and see if I can find a tool box to build a cart like @Mastertech59 did in his build here.

Now I might just have to look for a prep cart too. Thanks @Greg Jones :D
When I was checking online, the HF site said that none of the stores local to us had it in stock. When I went into the Richmond store, they actually had them! A note on the discount-I took in a 20% off coupon and the cashier told me the coupon could not be applied to the Yukon boxes, but he went ahead and gave me 10% off.

War wagon? Where's the gun turret? (a John Wayne movie reference for the young). Thanks for the ping Greg.

Nice job on commentary. As it turns out, about a week or so after our last discussion we'd made a trip into town and stopped at HF. As with your experience, even though not shown in inventory, they had one on the floor. As you noted the quality is not up there with better boxes for "heavy" use, but reasonably good considering the price. I was disappointed at first, as the display unit had a very balky drawer. I suspect someone messed up one of the detent blocks that caused it to bind badly. After a talk with the manager I decided to buy the last one he had, still boxed, in the warehouse. Thankfully the drawer works fine. Though moderate quality, for the intended use on a paved patio it should hold up reasonably well.

I smiled at your use of magnetic hooks, similarly I hung my pizza peel on the side with a magnetic clip for the handle and the peel edge fits right in the stiffener flange at the bottom as if it were made for that purpose. My patio is covered so weather considerations aren't all that much for me, but a cover is still useful. Dust and leaves are my nemesis for the most part. I got one for a Blue Rhino griddle, similar to your description for size. Just loose enough to go on and off easily. Mine has a "hump" in the top, originally intended to fit the hinged cover on the griddle, that I thought would leave room if I store something on top.

All in all, a good tool for outdoor cooking purposes. Probably not the best choice for those who can't protect it from direct weather though as the rubberwood top and the hinges and slides aren't really designed/intended for outdoor use/storage.
patio cart 01.jpg

@Greg Jones I went to the Lexington HF over the weekend and they had two differnt Yukon's on display, I didn't ask about stock but both of them look to be pretty nice chests in person.

I think I'm leaning towards the first one with more drawers.

IMG_20210118_115356.jpg

IMG_20210118_115352.jpg

Something to think about if deciding between the drawers or lower cabinet style is what are you planning to store. If you're only going to do smallish things like thermometers, skewers, tongs, and so on then all drawers will make sense. But if you're planning on a combination of things that include larger items that benefit from height or depth, then the combo cabinet might serve better. They don't make drawer dimensions easy to identify, so some rough numbers for you. On an 18" cabinet like this you'll get about 15" of front to back drawer depth, and each drawer (excluding the "full width" top one) will be anywhere from 2" deep to a couple around 8-10" deep. On the two bank drawer model the lower drawers are going to come in somewhere around 18-20" wide each on a 46" cabinet by the time you allow for outer cabinet structure and drawer sliding mechanisms. The lower cabinet portion of the combination unit will give you about 17" of useable depth, and adjustable height based on how you utilize the shelves. There is a divider panel in the middle too, so that shortens the width to about 22" per side, with door flanges being a potential further impediment. Sometimes a couple inches here, and a couple inches there make a fair bit of difference. Again, just depends on what you want to store.

I think I'm leaning towards the first one with more drawers.
They had the same pair on display in Richmond. @Uncle Bob pretty much said exactly what I would have said had I been the first to reply. It just depends on what you want to store in it. Plus the multi-drawer is a little more money, but that alone should not be a deciding factor. The cabinet with doors is not perfect for my intended use, but it’s close. As I mentioned, if it were about 3-4 inches longer so I could put in my sheet and hotel pans without tipping them, it would be perfect.

One additional thing that I factored into my decision is that I can open the doors and keep them open as I prep and cook, so I don’t need to open and close drawers while I am working with dirty nitrile gloves on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back